Sweet Cornbread-the perfect moist cornbread!
Cornbread is probably my favorite quick bread. It’s easy to make and goes well with so many dishes. A casserole, beef stew, chili. Or even by itself as a light snack.
There’s always been a feud in my house whether cornbread should be sweet or not. I grew up on sweet cornbread. Not from scratch, it was out of the box, but still good. Still warm with lots of butter just starting to melt.
My sister and I were talking about it the other night and she always made sweet cornbread muffins in college as a nice alternative to cupcakes or other treats.
I hadn’t realized how long it had been since I last made sweet cornbread until I made this and the kids all devoured it. Saying things like “why haven’t you ever made this for us before?” I have, it’s just apparently been a really long time. Sorry kids, I won’t ever deprive you again.
Still warm from the oven or leftover from the night before, this cornbread is the best. And since this is a “bread” and not cake, you don’t have to feel guilty having more than one slice.
Connect with Chocolate, Chocolate and More!
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons honey (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk together vegetable oil, butter, eggs, milk and honey.
- Make a well in the center of your flour mixture and pour in your wet ingredients. Stir just until all moistened.
- Pour batter into a greased 8 x 8 baking dish and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until top is golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
recipe source ChocolateChocolateandmore.com
For a real treat, split a slice of cornbread, butter the sliced side and fry it for about 2 minutes. Absolutely the best!
Leave a Reply