Slow Cooker Pot Roast-moist and full of flavor, perfect for a weeknight meal
I’ve always been a fan of Pot Roasts. I can almost taste the one my Grandma used to make for Sunday dinners even now.
For us, Sunday Dinner was actually a late lunch, served around 2pm. The only day of the week dinner moved to the middle of the day. Well Sundays and holidays. We don’t do that anymore.
Sometimes it’s sad when you think about the traditions your grandparents had that got lost along the way. I think this is one tradition I need to bring back.
My Grandma didn’t have a crock pot (at least not while I was young) so for her to have a pot roast on the table by 2 pm, she had to start cooking early. Low and slow always makes the most tender meat. And you didn’t want to throw everything in all at once, you had to start off with the meat and then remember an hour or 2 before ready to eat, to add your potatoes, then 30-40 minutes before eating to add your carrots.
For one of the easiest meals in the world to make, it does require a little attention. When you cook it in the oven.
Can I just say, I’m so thankful for the invention of the crock pot. For most slow cooker recipes, time is flexible. Throw everything in the crock pot in the morning, go about your day, and if you’re running late, no worries, as long as there’s enough liquid in your recipe, you don’t have to worry about it burning.
Make sure to whip up a batch of mash potatoes to go with this pot roast. Nothing fancy, just potatoes, butter, milk and some salt and pepper to season. I’m telling you, the gravy this roast makes is amazing, I’m saying, lick the plate clean good. You’ll want some potatoes just so you have an excuse for extra gravy on your plate.
- 2-3 pound roast-chuck, bottom round or top round
- 6 tablespoons flour, divided
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4-5 large carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat slow cooker on high.
- Dice all vegetables into large chunks. set aside.
- Coat roast in about 1/4 cup of flour, making sure to completely cover. Place beef in slow cooker. Add in vegetables and beef broth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 8-10 hours.
- About 20 minutes before ready to serve, remove meat and enough vegetables so you can stir broth easily. Turn heat to high. Whisk 4 tablespoon flour into broth to create gravy. Let cook for 20 minutes.
- Slice roast and serve with side vegetables and gravy.
recipe source ChocolateChocolateandmore.com
and for dessertgreat parties.