Spiced Apple Chips-the perfect snack for any time of day!
Apple Chips are nothing new. They’ve been around since I was a kid. I remember making apple chips in the toaster oven because my mom didn’t want us running the oven for hours at a time heating up the house in the summertime. It was one of the few snacks (healthy) that I loved to eat as a picky eating kid. I still do. Give me a bowl of apple chips over potato chips any day.
Instructions for Apple Chips are everywhere, I’ve even pinned 3 different versions. And When I did a search on Pinterest I found versions from My Kitchen Experiments, The Procrastinating Crafter, Blissful Whimsy, The Italian Dish, Simple Bites, Fresh 4 Five, Fifteen Spatulas, 365 Days of Baking, Half Squeezed Lemon, Delighted Momma, A Cozy Kitchen, Cooking with Nikki, Munchin with Munchkin, Fabulously Frugal, The Slow Roasted Italian, Vittles and Bits …..This is not a new idea.
The first batch was easy-
Cinnamon and Sugar sprinkled lightly over my apple chips before baking. Always a winner.
I left a batch of my Granny Smiths plain. They can stand on their own flavor.
Then as I was toying with Pumpkin, I thought lets add a bit of Pumpkin Pie Spice with sugar. Amazing.
Have a boring Red Delicious, Try a bit of Nutmeg.
Want to make a flavor pop, try some Salt! Or Pepper!
And what about those popcorn flavors you can sprinkle on? Give them a try, I can tell you the White Cheddar on Granny Smith, huge hit in this house.
So here’s how it’s done.
- 1 apple per baking tray you can fit in your oven.
- whatever spice(s) tickle your fancy
- Wash apples well. You can peel or leave the skin on. I leave my peel on 1) I'm lazy and it's faster 2) someone once told me that's where all the vitamins are. Core or don't core. Again, I'm lazy, I don't core. Just be sure all seeds are removed. Slice as thin as possible without cutting off fingertips. A mandolin works great.
- Either lightly spray a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Place apple slices in a single layer on sheet. Lightly sprinkle whatever spices you've chosen over apple slices.
- Bake in a preheated 225 degree oven for 2 hours. Turn off oven and let apples crisp up for about another 1-2 hours. (do not leave them overnight, they will burn.)
- Store in an airtight container.
recipe source ChocolateChocolateandmore.com
Want more snack ideas?