Mocha Fudge Cake-a coffee lovers dream, a moist cake infused with coffee and topped with a rich mocha icing.
I need to say this right off the bat. If you do not LOVE coffee, this is not the cake for you. Yes you can leave the instant coffee out of the recipe and just use the plain boiling water but that’s just a chocolate cake. Not Mocha. Mocha is chocolate infused with coffee.
Now if you ARE a chocolate-coffee lover, you have to make this cake.
Who needs a layer cake with decorative frosting (you all know how I hate to frost a cake!) This single layer cake gives such great flavor. Just the right sweetness. Lots of chocolate and coffee flavor. And it’s so easy to make. Oh, and it’s gorgeous!
The hardest part about this cake is waiting.
Waiting for the cake to cool completely. And waiting for the glaze to fully set.
You just can’t beat a pour on glaze.
I baked this in my 9 inch round cake pan from Calphalon. I love the crisp edges this cake pan gives. Not rounded. It does make a difference when you do choose to make those layer cakes!
Connect with Chocolate Chocolate and More!
Facebook | Twitter | Google+
Pinterest | instagram
Mocha Fudge Cake
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (1/4 cup), melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cream together butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add in vanilla extract and melted chocolate. Mix again.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Alternating, add in flour mixture and sour cream, starting and ending with flour.
- Add instant coffee to boiling water and stir until completely dissolved. Stir prepared coffee into cake batter.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 inch round cake pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 32-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack for 30 minutes before turning cake out. Let cake cool completely on cooling rack before icing.
- Combine instant coffee with boiling water, stirring until completely dissolved. Stir butter and vanilla into prepared coffee.
- Sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder into a large bowl or measuring cup. Pour coffee mixture into powdered sugar/cocoa and stir with a whisk until completely combined and smooth.
- Pour glaze over cooled cake, letting it drip down sides. Use a toothpick to pop any air bubbles that form. Let glaze completely set before serving.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream.
- Store cake in the refrigerator.
when storing cake, do not cover with plastic wrap. Use foil to create a tent over cake. If anything touches the glaze it will cause the glaze to melt.
Be sure to check out Roxana’s scrumptious Apple Cake with Streusel Topping
Want more easy cakes?
Strawberries and Cream Bundt Cake
Banana Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting from Roxana’s Home Baking
Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake form Tidymom
Sour Cream Pound Cake from Recipes for my Boys
Leave a Reply