Brown Sugar Cinnamon Skillet Cake-don’t let looks deceive you, this is a moist, full of cinnamon flavor cake, perfect for dessert or breakfast!
Looks can be deceiving. I’m telling you right now, do not let the boring, dull, brown cake in the photo turn you away from this cake. Just like your mama always told you, it’s what’s on the inside that counts. For this cake, it on the inside and on top.
Some of the best desserts I make start out completely by accident. I was in the mood for a coffee cake. I pull out one of the many old church cookbooks I own. I find a recipe for a coffee cake. I have all the ingredients. I start creaming the butter, when I red through the directions and see there is no crumb topping or filling. This is not a coffee cake. Reading through the recipe, it’s not even a full recipe. Someone forgot to proofread the recipe.
I’m already committed to butter and brown sugar. It’s in the mixer creaming away. I could have gone ahead and created a topping but I got lazy. I got as far as mixing cinnamon and sugar together. I just decided to go with it and make a basic cake. Nothing to share. Just a little something sweet.
And I’d make a coffee cake later.
This Brown Sugar Cinnamon Skillet Cake is a surprise for your taste buds. It doesn’t look like much. Just a boring brown cake. But look closer. Little flecks of cinnamon throughout the crumb. And the topping. A thin, delicate crust of cinnamon sugar, it melts in your mouth. And it’s so moist! It doesn’t need anything else. Adding the Cinnamon Whipped Cream was just the icing on the top, so to speak.
Connect with Chocolate Chocolate and More!
Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorite” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
for the topping
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add in cinnamon and eggs, one at a time.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternating, add flour mixture and milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture, making sure to blend well after each addition.
- Spoon batter into a greased 9 inch cast iron skillet, gently pushing batter to the edges.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon for the topping. Sprinkle over entire surface of cake.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 38-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes before serving warm or let cool completely. Serve with a dollop of Cinnamon Whipped Cream.
- Make the whipped cream. Using a mixer, beat cream, sugar and cinnamon until peaks form.
This can also be made in a 9 inch cake pan.
recipe source ChocolateChocolateandmore.com
Want more cake?