Just the thought of that name brings chocolate to the mind.
So what’s a girl to do when wandering through her favorite used book store
when she sees a cookbook called
Of course I bought it, along with a few other books. I have about 30 recipes in this book, marked for trying.
But Chocolate Syrup Swirl Cake was to be first. It has chocolate syrup in it. And just like chocolate chips, cocoa powder, sugar and flour. I always have chocolate syrup in the house.
This cake is adapted from Hershey’s Incredibly Easy Recipes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Chocolate syrup (try using homemade)
- 1 cup coconut flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or white chocolate chips)
- 2-3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut, toasted
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until well combined.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda and salt.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to your butter mixture. Mix until creamy and smooth.
- Remove 2 cups of batter to second bowl and stir in chocolate syrup and remaining 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
- Add coconut to remaining plain batter, stir just till combined.
- Pour plain batter into a greased and floured bundt pan.
- Then pour chocolate batter over top of the plain batter. Do not mix or swirl in. The batter will do it's own magic while baking.
- Bake 60-70 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. Test for doneness using a toothpick. Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before inverting on to a rack to cool completely.
- For Ganache-melt chocolate chips in a small saucepan over low heat and stir in cream, use just enough cream to get a slow pour consistency. Drizzle over cake.
- Top with toasted coconut. To toast coconut, spread coconut out on a foil lined baking sheet, place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 2-4 minutes. Watch it carefully, burnt coconut smells terrible. I might know a little something about this.
Want more cake?