Mississippi Mudslide Cake-from the Grandbaby Cakes Cookbook, 3 layers of rich cake sandwich a Kahlua infused chocolate whipped cream, crushed cookies and chocolate ganache, this is a chocolate lovers dream cake!
I get so excited when one of my friends publishes a cookbook. I know these people, I know their recipes, I know they are good!
I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this cookbook from my friend Jocelyn of Grandbaby Cakes!
I first met Jocelyn a few years ago at Pillsbury’s Test Kitchens and then again at The Pillsbury Bake-Off (we were both there to watch, not compete.) I love this girl! She is down to earth, enjoys dessert almost as much as I do and has my same passion for chocolate! I think we might be sisters separated at birth (we won’t talk about the age difference on that one!)
Her recipes are seeped in tradition, handed down from one generation to the next.
As you read through her cookbook, the stories of her family, and their traditions will make you feel as if you know these bakers, are in the kitchen with them, are part of the family.
The cookbook is divided into sections-Pound Cakes, Layer Cakes, Sheet Cakes, Baby Cakes, Celebration Cake and Seasons/Holidays!
I can’t wait to make these Gooey Cake Bars next!
This recipe for Mississippi Mudslide Cake is inspired by Jocelyn’s Auntie Rose.
After reading about her, I’ve decided she will be my Auntie too! Anyone who believes that you should “seize moments of unadulterated bliss without a shred of guilt” belongs in my family.
Don’t let the long list of ingredients put you off. This cake comes together easily. It’s just cake, whipped cream, crushed cookies and chocolate drizzle.
Save a little of the drizzle to add after you’ve sliced the cake, I mean, don’t you just want to lick those drips off your screen?
You can order your own copy of Grandbaby Cakes: Modern Recipes, Vintage Charm, Soulful Memories here or scroll down below the recipe to enter for a chance to win a Kitchenaid mixer, an Ancestry DNA kit or one of 5 copies of Grandbaby Cakes!
Connect with Chocolate Chocolate and More!
Mississippi Mudslide Cake
for the cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
Kahlua whipped cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Bailey Irish Cream liqueur
- 2 Tablespoons Kahlua liqueur
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
for the ganache
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chips (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos)
for the cake
- In a large mixing bowl, combine, sugar and eggs, beating on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Combine, hot water, cocoa powder, instant coffee and salt. Add to sugar mixture until well combined.
- Turn mixer down to low speed and add flour, baking soda and baking powder, mixing just until combined, making sure to scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix just until combined.
- Dived batter evenly between 3 greased 9 inch cake pans. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 22-25 minutes, until toothpick incerted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cakes cool for 15 minutes, then invert onto racks to cool completely.
Kahlua Whipped Cream
- Before making whipped cream, place large mixing bowl and beaters/whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- Place whipping cream in chilled bowl and beat on high speed until soft peaks begin to form.
- Turn mixer speed down to medium and add remaing ingredients, mixing until stiff peaks form but being careful to not over beat. Refrigerate whipped cream until time to assemble cake.
for the ganache
- In a medium microwave safe bowl (I use a 2 cup measuring cup) place chocolate chips and cream. Heat in microwave on high for 45 seconds, until cream is hot but not boiling. If needed, heat an additional 15 seconds. Remove from microwave and let sit for 2 minutes before stirring until chocolate is completely smooth and all chocolate is melted. Let cool before using.
- place one layer of cooled cake on cake plate. Using 1/3 of whipped cream, spread whipped cream on top of cake to within 1/2 of edge of cake (this will spread with the additional weight of the other layers.) Sprinkle whipped cream with 1/3 of chopped cookies and then drizzle with 1/3 of chocolate ganache.
- Repeat with next 2 layers. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
Bake the cake layers the day before and freeze them. When ready to assemble cake, remove from freezer 30 minutes before assembling.
You can omit the Baileys and Kahlua in the whipped cream, in this case, add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
You can find Grandbaby Cake Cookbook on Amazon along with my favorite Cookbook Stand!
Be sure to check out the other incredible bloggers participating in the Cake Walk Blogger Tour and see more recipes from The Grandbaby Cakes Cookbook!
The Kittchen – Roasted Raspberry Cupcakes
Crazy For Crust – Sweet Potato Crumb Cake
Buns In My Oven – Cinnamon Roll Pound Cake
I Am Baker – Mississippi Mud cake
Broma Bakery – German Chocolate Pound Cake
Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen – 7-up Pound Cake
Baking A Moment – Buttered Rum and Candied Sweet Potato Crumb Cake
Life Love and Sugar – Real deal Caramel Cake
Shugary Sweets – Cherry 7-up Pound cake
Diethood – Neopolitan Cakelettes
And now for a giveaway to help launch Grandbaby Cakes Cookbook!
Leave a Reply