Apple Cake, also known as an Apple Kuchen, simple vanilla cake, topped with sliced apples and a cinnamon sugar mixture. Makes a great presentation for any occasion!
I love apples. It’s my favorite fruit. Always has been. I can and will eat them anytime, fixed any way. I love Apple pie, still warm from the oven. But when I make an apple pie it looks like a five year old made it. It’s delicious. The filling, the crust (I sprinkle a little sugar on top of my crust and it’s to die for!) It’s just not pretty.
It’s my own fault. I have no patience. I’ll go around the edge and crimp it one time and I’m done. So I don’t make pies for the Holidays.
I go for cookies and bars and sheet cakes. All so much easier to eat in front of the television while watching football or your favorite Christmas movie. And while we’re talking about movies, I have to confess, we’ve been watching Christmas movies for 3 weeks now. The Santa Clause Trilogy, The Grinch (both the animated original and the Jim Carey version,) Home Alone, The Polar Express.
Elegant doesn’t have to mean difficult. If you have a good recipe and good ingredients, you can impress without a lot of work. Fresh, crisp apples and White Lily Flour. White Lily not only makes the fluffiest biscuits but it’s amazing for cakes. I’m not a sifter but my cakes always turn out perfect.
Connect with Chocolate Chocolate and More!
Apple Cake (Apple Kuchen)
- 4-5 medium Granny Smith Apples
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time, add vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Alternating, add flour mixture and sour cream, starting and ending with flour. Mixing just until each addition is incorporated into batter.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking pan. (I line mine with parchment paper for easy removal of cake to a serving tray.) Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Peel, core and slice apples into thin slices (about 16 slices per apple) place apples in a single layer across top of batter.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon for topping. Sprinkle over top of apple layer.
- bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool 30 minutes.
- Prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over top of cake. Serve cake still warm or can be served cooled.
- Store in refrigerator.
Want more apple treats?
Salted Caramel Apple Pie from Hungry Couple
Glazed Apple Fritters from The Kitchn
I’m an ambassador for White Lily Flour and was compensated for this post. All opinions are my own. I wouldn’t share this with you if I didn’t really love it.
Leave a Reply