A Christmas Classic. These gingerbread men are a soft cookie with a mild ginger flavor. From an old family recipe.
- 8 cups sifted flour
- 3 teaspoon ginger
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 c. unsulfered molasses
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 1 egg
- Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center, stir in sugar and molasses.
- Add shortening.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot water, then pour into dough.
- Finally add egg and blend until well combined.
- Wrap dough in Plastic wrap. Chill thoroughly, I chill over night.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes on a greased cookie sheet.
- Once cooled decorate with Royal Icing or whatever you choose.
recipe source ChocolateChocolateandmore.com
Need more Christmas cookie inspiration?