Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake-a moist crumb cake with a rich chocolate flavor!
There’s just something about old fashioned recipes. You know they’ve been tried, tested and tweaked through the years. Passed down from one generation to the next.
Just look at those gorgeous popped air bubbles.
They say necessity is the mother of invention. Thank you to whoever it was that first decided since they didn’t have eggs on hand, to try mayonnaise in a cake recipe. After all, mayonnaise is made with eggs, oil and vinegar (there are other ingredients as well depending on the recipe you use.) The tang from the vinegar enhances the flavor of the cocoa.
No frosting need for this cake, just a little dusting of powdered sugar. (although I certainly wouldn’t judge if you used this Fudge frosting on top.)
Connect with Chocolate, Chocolate and More!
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- In a large bowl, combine cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, sugar and mayonnaise.
- In a separate medium sized bowl (I use a 4 cup measuring cup) combine baking soda and hot water until baking soda is dissolved. Stir baking soda water into cocoa/mayonnaise mixture until combined.
- Add flour, a cup at a time, just until combined, to batter.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x13 baking pan. Bake cake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Dust with powdered sugar for garnish.
make sure to sift flour or flour may not dissolve completely in batter, leaving little flour lumps in baked cake.
Want more old fashioned recipes?