Sugar Cake Cookies-this recipe is everything you love about cake, in a cookie!
These cookies are the muffin tops of the cake world.
If you ever watched Seinfeld, there was an entire episode dedicated to how the best part of a muffin, is the top. It’s kinda true, although with a muffin, the whole thing is pretty good. After all there is no frosting on a muffin.
When it comes to cupcakes, however, The top of the cupcake holds the frosting!
I recently was given several recipes that belonged to my Grandmother. Among those recipes was one for Sugar Cakes. Not sure what I was actually making, the directions were vague, I soon realized, yet again, what an amazing woman my Grandma was.
This is a cake batter, baked like a cookie.
A batter stiff enough to hold it’s shape but soft enough to produce a tender cake…cookie. No muffin tin needed. No pretty cupcake paper liners. No bottom of the cupcake, to eat dry, without frosting.
Even plain, with just sprinkles on top, these cake cookies are a must make!
Connect with Chocolate, Chocolate and More!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- mix together eggs and sugar, add shortening and mix again. Add vanilla extract.
- Combine baking powder with 1/3 cup buttermilk. Add regular buttermilk and flour to batter, alternating, just until combined. Add in baking powder buttermilk and beat again.
- Using a large cookie scoop, spoon batter onto a greased baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, just until bottom edges start to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes, before removing to racks to cool completely.
- Frost if desired.
Want more delicious cookies?
Lemon Cookies from Whisk Kid
Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies from Chef in Training
Chocolate Espresso Sandwich Cookies from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
Toffee Butter Cookies from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody