Simple Peach Cobbler-made with just a few ingredients, this cobbler magically transforms creating a crispy, buttery crust on top with sweet juicy peaches inside!
Living in Georgia, I always get requests for a Peach Cobbler recipe. It makes sense, after all, we do have the sweetest peaches. We are also home to the World’s Largest Peach Cobbler. Every June, in Peach County, Georgia, we host the Georgia Peach Festival. Like other festivals, we have vendors, good music, fireworks at night and on the second Saturday of the event-Peach Cobbler.
Not just any cobbler, it measures 11 feet by 5 feet, cooked in a specially made outdoor oven just to bake the cobbler each year. It takes 75 pounds of peaches, 150 pounds of flour, 150 pounds of sugar, 32 gallons of milk and 90 pounds of butter. People come from near and far to sample the cobbler.
At 2:00 pm, the line for a taste will stretch 2-3 blocks. As you can imagine, you can’t use just a serving spoon or standard kitchen bowls to make and serve the cobbler. Five gallon buckets and boat paddles are involved.
The line is worth the wait.
Now since most of us don’t need a Peach Cobbler that will feed thousands, I picked up a few peaches provided by our local growers Lane Southern Orchards and Pearson Farms.
Fresh from the trees, full of sweet flavor and lots of juice. Nothing is better than a Georgia peach, seriously.
Creating a cobbler, takes just a few minutes. peel and slice those peaches, melt your butter, combine the flour and sugar with milk then into your casserole dish and bake.
The peaches sink to the bottom. The butter works its way to the top, creating a crispy crust. Pure magic.
Add a scoop of ice cream for the perfect summer treat.
Connect with Chocolate, Chocolate and More!
Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram
Simple Peach Cobbler
- 6 cups sliced peaches
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- Place sliced peaches and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium saucepan. Simmer over low heat until sugar is dissolved and a syrup forms, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine flour, remaining 1 cup sugar and milk, stirring to create a batter. A few lumps will remain.
- Place butter in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Place in preheated 350 degree oven for about 2 minutes, until butter is melted. Remove from oven. Pour batter into baking dish, on top of melted butter. Pour peaches and syrup into center of dish, no need to spread them. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until top crust is golden brown and peaches are bubbly.
- Let cobbler rest for 10 minutes before serving. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired.
Want more summer fruit treats?
Blackberry Yogurt Swirled Popsicles
Peaches and Cream Coffee Cake from Tidymom
Peach Blueberry Cake from Simply Recipes
Fruit Salsa from Center Cut Cook
Strawberry Peach Streusel Bars from A Kitchen Addiction
Leave a Reply