One of my goals this year is to share with you some of my favorite friends in the food blogging world. I’m thrilled to have Melissa of Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen posting today. A true southern cook, you need to make sure you check out her Sausage, Egg and Hash Brown Biscuit Bake, perfect for a weekend morning, her Beef Pot Pie, it’s soooooo good! And of course she also bakes, so don’t miss her Apple Slab Pie or her Boston Cream Layer Cake!
Hi y’all, I’m Melissa from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen. I was thrilled to bits when Joan invited me to share a recipe post on her magnificent blog. She and I became fast friends after meeting several years ago through blogging. I consider her one of my most treasured friends. She’s such an amazing and generous person, and we’ve shared lots of laughter and chatter together. If I have something pop-up or need a little friendly advice she’s the first person I get in touch with to gain perspective. While I am so thankful to have her in those times, mainly we just giggle, bake and share the latest happenings in our lives. I could go on and on about how much I love this lady but, alas she invited me to share a recipe with you, her readers, so onward we go.
Follow MSSK on Facebook| Pinterest| Twitter| G+| Instagram
This fresh Strawberries and Cream Pie has a surprise cream cheese layer that only adds to it’s creamy decadence. Bake and cool the pie shell, then fill and chill. It doesn’t get any easier than that.
Strawberries and Cream Pie
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie crust, baked and cooled
- 2 lb fresh strawberries, divided
- 2/3-3/4 cup granulated sugar (See Cook's note)
- 1/2 cup water, plus 2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- Few drops red food coloring
- 1  oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Sweetened fresh whipped cream for serving
- Rince and pat dry and hull the strawberries. In a food processor, puree enough strawberries to equal 1 cup and halve the rest. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, cook together the granulated sugar, water and pureed strawberries. Bring to a boil stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved. Lower the temperature to medium-high.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 Tbsp cold water, a little more if needed, and whisk into the strawberry sauce. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes until thickened. Once thickened, remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 tsp almond extract then set aside to cool. Adjust the color by adding a few drops of red food coloring, if desired.
- Using a hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, heavy cream, lemon juice and vanilla until creamed and fully combined. Spread onto the bottom of the cooled pie shell.
- Arrange the halved berries in rows starting at the center of the pie. Pour the glaze on top. Chill for at least 2-3 hours or until set. Serve with whipped cream. Yield: 6-8 slices
The amount of sugar in the glaze can be adjusted according to the sweetness of the strawberries.
Do you love strawberries, too? You may also like:
Strawberry Crumble Cake from Miss Information
Lemon Strawberry Cookie Cups from Beyond Frosting
Leave a Reply