Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars-a quick and easy treat and so pretty!
I need some spring in my life. Or at least some spring color. Yellow. Lemon. Sugar Cookies. Yes, this will bring a little spring into my kitchen. I love making cookie bars. So fast and easy. Tastes just like a cookie but in bar form. They look so pretty and take almost no time to make up a batch. Perfect for a party or a potluck.
You can easily change up the flavor buy changing out your extract. And the same goes for color. Need something for a baby shower? Just change your food coloring to pink or blue for the frosting. Add a few sprinkles or save out a bit of the frosting before adding the food coloring to make a design on top and you’ve got your cookie bars all dressed up and ready to party.
Connect with Chocolate Chocolate and More!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons lemon extract
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
for the frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- yellow food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a large jelly roll pan (13 x 18.) In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy, about 5-6 minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time, and lemon extract. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture, just till all combined. Spread dough into prepared pan, using greased waxed paper or your hands to completely cover pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until just starting to turn golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting. Sift powdered sugar and set aside. Combine butter and shortening, beating until smooth.Add in lemon extract and salt, beat again. Slowly add in powdered sugar until smooth. Add in milk and food coloring, beat until creamy and desired spreading consistency.