Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes – sweet and fluffy, tangy and lemony, topped with a smooth lemon buttercream frosting, and filled with chia seeds to add a little crunch, as well as fiber, antioxidants, and omega-3s.
I feel like this recipe is just perfect for a summertime dessert. Like hello, it’s yellow and it’s lemon-flavored, so to me that just screams “It’s summer!!!”.
And y’all know, I love any recipe that I can deem “healthy” because of that one ingredient that’s healthy. This is also my first time ever eating chia seeds, but I will say, they made the cupcake interesting.
Lemon is also just one of my favorite flavors, whether it be candy, dessert, or just eating it straight from the peel! And I know that i definitely got this trait from my mom!
Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes :
For the ingredients, you’ll need :
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- a stick of softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of poppy seeds
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt, and then set to the side.
In a stand mixer or using a handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugar together on high speed for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla extract, lemon extract, and lemon juice.
Turn the speed on the mixer down to a lower speed. Now add about half of the flour into the wet ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Add in about half of the buttermilk and mix. Then the rest of the flour and mix. Then the other half of the buttermilk and mix.
Fold or mix in the poppyseeds.
The batter should look like this.
Now pour into lined cupcake cups, until about 2/3 of the way full.
Tip: to get better-shaped cupcakes leave every other cupcake cup empty, which will allow the cupcakes to get surrounded by heat all the way around and cook more evenly.
Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 20-23 minutes.
Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting, you’ll need 2 sticks of softened unsalted butter, 2 cups of powdered sugar, about a tablespoon of lemon juice, a splash of vanilla extract, and a dash of salt.
Using a stand mixer, whip the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar and continue to whip. Add in the lemon juice, vanilla, and salt and whip for about another 5 minutes. Place in the fridge to chill for about 30-45 minutes.
Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, I used a ziplock bag and cut a hole in the corner.
And a funny story, the day I made these cupcakes we had a few errands to run. Well, my dogs are very well behaved so we decided to leave them free roaming in the house while we were gone for about an hour or so.
Well, we had left the cupcake on the counter, under a little bit of cling wrap.
The dogs have never done anything like getting on the counter before so we thought it was no problem.
Well, it was a problem. We came home, 3 of the cupcakes were gone. No evidence though, they literally ate and left no crumbs.
So I guess we can say this recipe is dog approved! Haha, but seriously, DON”T feed your dogs these cupcakes, we got lucky that our dogs weren’t sick.
Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- splash of vanilla
- 2 tsps lemon extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup poppyseed
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- 2 sticks softened unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- splash of vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line/grease a cupcake pan.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed for a few minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla and lemon extracts, and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add half the flour mixture into the wet mixture, mix, then add half of the buttermilk, mix, then repeat the process. Mix in the poppyseeds.
- Pour into lined/greased cupcake pan about 2/3 of the way up. Bake for 20-23 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, whip the softened butter for a few minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, then the vanilla and lemon juice, then whip for another 5 minutes. Chill in the fridge for 30-45 minutes before piping onto cupcakes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 197mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 0gSugar: 36gProtein: 3g