Chocolate Cupcakes and Hot Chocolate Buttercream frosting recipe are chocolate treats topped with fluffy, hot chocolate frosting and mini marshmallows that are perfect for Christmas or a cold winter day! You’ll love these decadent hot chocolate cupcakes that taste just like a warm cup of hot cocoa.
Hi everyone and Merry Christmas! My name is Ashley and I blog over at Wishes and Dishes. I’m here today to do one thing: honor the memory of Joan by sharing an amazing chocolate holiday recipe with her readers that I think would make her proud. I wanted to bring you a double dose of chocolate just in time for the holidays.
These cupcakes are so quick and easy to make. The cupcakes themselves are made with a box cake mix so all of your effort can be focused on the delicious homemade buttercream frosting and fun decorations. If you prefer to make the cupcakes from scratch feel free to use your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe! These cupcakes mimic the look of your favorite hot drink during the winter – what can be better than that?
These Chocolate Cupcakes and Hot Chocolate Buttercream taste great and, if I do say so myself, are super adorable. Everyone I served these to raved about the taste and the creative, cute look of them. Presentation is half the battle, right?!
Your Christmas dessert tables will be that much better with these cupcakes sitting on them. They would also be perfect for any winter party – not just for the holidays! You can leave off the candy canes if need be and they would still look great. If you’re looking for more fun cupcake recipes you can always check out my Monster Cookie Dough Cupcakes or these Apple Cider Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Cinnamon Buttercream.
Serve these babies with a tall glass of milk (or an actual cup of hot chocolate if you’re feeling really crazy and daring). I hope I made you proud, Joan! Enjoy, everyone, and happy holidays.
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Recipe type: Dessert
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes recipe: rich, chocolate cupcakes and hot chocolate buttercream frosting topped with fluffy mini marshmallows that are perfect for Christmas or a cold winter day! You’ll love these decadent cupcakes that taste just like a warm cup of hot cocoa.
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix (15.5 ounce size) or use your favorite homemade recipe
- ingredients called for on box to make cupcakes plus 1 extra egg AND substitute the water with an equal amount of milk
Hot Chocolate Buttercream:
- 1½ sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup powdered hot chocolate mix
- Prepare cupcakes and bake according to box directions (with the extra egg and milk instead of water). You don’t have to use my changes, but I think they have better texture that way.
- Set aside to cool while you prepare frosting.
Hot Chocolate Buttercream:
- Using a mixer, cream together butter, cocoa powder and salt. Scrape down sides of bowel with a spatula as needed.
- With the mixer on low speed, mix in powdered sugar and gradually add the milk and vanilla extract.
- As the sugar begins to mix in, raise the speed of the mixer to medium/high speed to beat the frosting until smooth.
- In a small separate bowl, stir together heavy cream and hot chocolate mix.
- With mixer on medium speed, pour heavy cream mixture into frosting in a slow, steady stream, until you’ve reached your desired consistency for the frosting. I did not quite need the full amount of the heavy cream/hot chocolate mixture.
- Pipe the frosting onto completely cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with mini marshmallows and mini candy canes. You can get creative with the decorating according to your liking!