Lemon Pie Bars-all the taste of a Lemon Pie with the convenience of a handy bar
When I was a kid, there was a box mix for making Lemon Squares. I think it was made by Sunkist, whatever. Anyway, those bars were incredible.
Then then mix just disappeared from the shelves. Probably some distribution thing, but I was crushed. As box mixes go, this was one of the best.
Time passes, I find other new wonderful recipes to try. I learn to bake from scratch. And then I stumble across a recipe from All Recipes.
It was actually in the teaser magazine they sent with another magazine. I don’t even remember which one. They also printed a review that said it needed more filling so I adjusted the recipe to allow for it.
If I do say so myself, I think these bars are the perfect ratio of crust to filling and the taste, dare I say it, is better than I remember from that box mix.
Connect with Chocolate Chocolate and More!
Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorite” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!
for the crust
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
for the filling
- 6 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and confectioner's sugar, stir just to combine. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour until it resembles pie crust dough. Press dough into the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 pan. Bake crust in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes, just until edges start to turn golden.
- While crust is baking, prepare filling. Whisk together filling ingredients until smooth and a foam begins to form on top. Let filling rest.
- When crust is done baking, remove from oven. Stir filling to blend foam back in then pour over baked crust. Bake again for 20 minutes, or until top turns golden brown.
- Let cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
Tip. Dip knife in water before cutting for a cleaner cut.
adapted from All Recipes
recipe source ChocolateChocolateandmore.com
Want more lemon?