Homemade Strawberry Frosting – made with real strawberries, super yummy, creamy, sweet, and just downright delicious!
I’ve been playing around with different frostings and I ad some leftover strawberries in the fridge from making our Strawberry Syrup and thought why not?
And since it’s made with real strawberries, you can say it’s healthy (wink wink).
If you’ve been following this blog since my mom started it, you know I’m the fruit child. I love all things fruit, and I would rather have that then chocolate. I know, I’m weird.
But I can’t help it. It’s just too good.
Homemade Strawberry Frosting
The ingredients you’ll need are
- 5 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 cups of strawberries
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons of vanilla syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
To begin, you’ll want to reduce your strawberries by half. To do this, puree the strawberries in a blender or food processor and pour them into a small saucepan. Turn the stove onto medium heat and let simmer, make sure it doesn’t reach a boil.
Stir constantly for about 10-15 minutes, it should be a nice thick and dark consistency.
Let the reduced strawberries cool to at least room temperature before using them for this recipe.
Next, you’ll want to cream the butter using a stand mixer or handheld mixer for about 2 minutes, the butter should be light and fluffy. Slowly add in about half of the powdered sugar. Once that’s combined, add in the reduced strawberries, the vanilla extract, and the vanilla syrup.
Slowly add in the rest of the powdered sugar until it’s completely combined. If needed, add 1-2 tbsps of heavy cream to reach the desired consistency.
This Homemade Strawberry Frosting is great on cookies, cupcakes, cake, or to dip in extra or leftover fruit for a snack (that’s what I did with my leftover strawberries and it was so good). My boyfriend Kal couldn’t get enough when he tried it with strawberries!
Homemade Strawberry Frosting
- 2 cups strawberries (about 1 cup once reduced)
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 vanilla extract
- 1/2 vanilla syrup
- 1-2 tbsp heavy whipping cream (if needed)
- Reduce strawberries by half by pureeing them and simmering them on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly and don't let it boil, then let cool to room temperature.
- Cream butter in using a handheld mixer or stand mixer until butter becomes lighter in color and fluffy. Slowly add in half of the powdered sugar, and the vanilla extract, and reduced strawberries.
- Slowly add in the rest of the powdered sugar. Add 1-2 tbsp of heavy cream if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Keep refrigerated for no more than one week or freeze to keep longer.
- The frosting will become a ticker consistency when kept in the fridge. Let warm to room temperature before using if you want a thinning and more spreadable frosting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 0gSugar: 24gProtein: 0g
Leave a Reply