Dark Chocolate Peppermint Fudge-rich dark chocolate pairs perfectly with a pretty pink layer of peppermint fudge for a tasty treat.
Don’t you just love the color of this fudge? Dark Chocolate and peppermint are the perfect pairing. And I have you, my readers to thank for this recipe.
Before Christmas, I shared my Mint Chocolate Chip Fudge recipe. It went crazy. But many readers couldn’t find the Mint extract and asked if Peppermint extract could be substituted. Of course it can. Recipes are meant to be altered. At least that’s how I feel about it.
There were also a lot of comments (thank you for leaving comments letting me know how you liked, had trouble with, altered my recipes. I love hearing from you!) Anyway, there were comments about it being soupy. Not setting up. Even after a full day in the refrigerator.
This recipe is pretty fool proof. It’s only a few ingredients. No candy thermometer needed. But, and I’ve done this myself, It had to be confusion over the milk.
The cans do look similar.
This is Evaporated milk. It’s thin, like watered down milk. It’s great for making Cinnamon Glazed Pecans but not for fudge. Using this will just cause a runny mess. And it probably won’t taste that good either since it’s not sweetened.
This is Sweetened Condensed Milk. It’s Thick. Thicker than molasses. It’s the magical ingredient in Seven Layer Magic Bars. It’s also what you want to use when you make fudge. (Carnation also makes a Sweetened Condensed milk, I just didn’t have any in my cabinets.)
And on a side note. I may have a bit of a hoarding problem. All of these cans were in my pantry, plus a few more. I also have 3 big jars of peanut butter, a zillion cans of soup type food and we won’t even discuss my baking cabinet.
So gather your ingredients (making sure you have sweetened condensed milk) and make some fudge.
You’ll be glad you did. And so will everyone you share it with. If you decide to share.
Connect with Chocolate Chocolate and More!
- 1 can (14 ounces) Sweetened Condensed Milk, divided (not evaporated milk)
- 2 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Line an 8x8 square pan with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave dark chocolate chips and 1 Tablespoon butter on 50% power for 1 minute. Let rest for 1 minute then heat again for 1 minute at 50% power. Check to see if melted. If needed microwave for another 30-45 seconds. Stir chocolate until all lumps are gone.
- Stir in half of the sweetened condensed milk.
- Press Dark Chocolate layer into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Repeat steps for Peppermint layer. Melt white chocolate chips with 1 Tablespoon Butter, until completely melted. Stir in remaining sweetened condensed milk and peppermint extract. Add food coloring to desired color. Press peppermint layer into prepared pan over the dark chocolate layer. . Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top and gently press into fudge.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours to set before cutting into squares.
- Store in an airtight container.
Once fudge is set, it does not need to be kept refrigerated.
Want more pretty pink treats?