Coca Cola Chocolate Cake-made with Coca Cola, buttermilk and mini marshmallows. Serve it warm for a truly decadent treat!
I’m a true Coca Cola girl. I remember as a kid taking “the Pepsi Challenge.” It was never a challenge for me or my friends. There was a huge taste difference and I always chose Coke. I’ve always stayed true, never caving into the sales of other products, just waiting for my brand to come on sale and stock up. You can get away with buying any brand of orange or grape soda but when it comes to a cola, you need the real thing.
It’s funny, I live in Georgia, the home of Coca Cola, but most people I know around here drink Pepsi. To each his own. I still like to kid people when I see them go for a Pepsi. My friend Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic is in Canada. She always drinks Pepsi, until she comes to the states. Then she’s a Coke girl. She says there’s a difference in what they sell up there versus what we have in the states. I wouldn’t know. It’s been so long since I even tried a Pepsi. Maybe it’s better 40 years later?
Anyway, if you’ve never cooked with soda, you should. A coca cola glazed ham-to die for! 7-up biscuits, one of our favorites! Root beer Pulled Pork, I could eat it every day! The carbonation, the syrup, it does something magical to recipes.
Combine that coca cola with cocoa, buttermilk and marshmallows and you get an amazingly moist cake, great chocolate taste and the frosting, I always love a poured frosting! melt in your mouth good!
Connect with Chocolate Chocolate and More!
Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorite” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup Coca Cola
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cocoa powder
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons coca cola
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and flour. Set aside.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, heat coca cola, butter, oil and cocoa. Whisking to combine. Over medium heat bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in marshmallows until marshmallows are completely melted. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully pour chocolate mixture over flour mixture, stirring to combine, making sure dry ingredients are completely stirred in.
- Combine baking soda with buttermilk then add buttermilk, eggs and vanilla to batter. Mix well.
- Pour batter into a well greased 9x13 baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- About 5 minutes before cake is done baking, prepare frosting.
- Place powdered sugar in a mixing bowl or large measuring cup. Set aside.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, combine butter, cocoa and coca cola. Stirring occasionally, bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and pour over powdered sugar and whisk to combine. Continue stirring until all lumps are dissolved. Use immediately, pouring over warm cake to frost.
- Let cake set for at least 30 minutes before serving warm or let cool completely.
recipe source ChocolateChocolateandmore.com
Want more cake?