Caramel Glazed Spice Cake-start with a simple yellow box mix then with the addition of spices and a sweet caramel glaze you have something that will rival any cake made from scratch!
It happens about once a year. I post something on my facebook page that starts with a cake mix and the food snobs come out.
“This is a box mix”
“That’s not a real cake, I only bake from scratch”
“It is so easy to make a scratch cake. I just don’t understand why you would use boxed cake mix.”
“ANOTHER disappointing cake mix & cool whip “recipe” ”
I’m sorry to “disappoint” anyone but I’m all for cake mixes if that’s what someone wants to use. Who is anyone else to judge what ingredients are used when a person want to get in the kitchen and bake!
I’ve never been handed a slice of cake and the first question out of my mouth was “is this from scratch?”
Who cares! It’s cake and someone took the time to turn on their oven, dirty some bowls, frost it (and I’ll eat canned frosting too) And then share it with ME!
I’m from a generation where moms went to work as well as the dads, kids came home and took care of themselves until 5 or 6 o’clock and then dinner was whatever could be cooked quickly. No one taught me to bake (or cook for that matter.) If it wasn’t for cake mixes and those simple to follow directions on the box…I might have grown up…CAKELESS!
People use box mixes for different reasons. Convenience, skill level, and even taste. Box mixes have come a long way. So please, don’t ever be that person that judges another for what they choose to do in their own kitchen.
Support them for being in the kitchen instead of in the drive-thru lane at McDonalds.
And just because it starts with a box mix, doesn’t mean you can’t add to it.
Start with a simple yellow cake mix (I always have a few in the cabinet) and add some spice to it. I love the combination of Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Allspice, it reminds me of my sister’s Swedish Christmas Cookie recipe.
Just look at those gorgeous specs of spice…everywhere! This is no longer just a box cake, it’s now a cake full of spicy flavors.
Topped with a homemade caramel glaze that takes just a few minutes to make and then poured over top. No one will know that this wasn’t a “made from scratch” cake.
And no one will ask.
And if you really want to make this cake from scratch, you can easily adapt this Funfetti (from scratch) Pound Cake.
Connect with Chocolate, Chocolate and More!
Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | instagram
Caramel Glazed Spice Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix (16.5 ounce size)
- ingredients called for on box to make cake plus 1 extra egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, stir dry cake mix together with spice, just to combine. Add ingredients called for on box, along with one extra egg and using a mixer, beat on low for 1 minute to combine. Turn speed up to medium and mix for 2 more minutes.
- Pour batter into a greased bundt pan and back according to package directions.
- Let cake cool completely before adding glaze.
to make glaze
- In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream and butter, stirring over low heat until butter is melted. Turn heat to medium and bring to a boil while continuing to stir. Once boiling, boil for 3 minutes then remove from heat and add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir until smooth then pour/drizzle over top of cake. Let glaze cool for 30 minutes to set.
Want more starts with a mix recipes?
Black Forrest Cake from Six Sister’s Stuff
Cake Mix Soft Pretzels from Crazy for Crust
Cake Mix Cookies from My Baking Addiction
Pumpkin Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls from With Salt and Wit
Leave a Reply