Millionaire Squares

Millionaire Squares-delicious fudge filling and you won’t believe what the crust is made of!
Millionaire Squares-delicious fudge filling and you won't believe what the crust is made of!
I just had to try this recipe. The ingredients snagged me in. Well one ingredient.

Store bought oatmeal cookies. You know the ones, $1.00 for the package, with or without icing. But they are really good. I admit it, I can sit down with a tall glass of milk and just start eating those things.

These are the ones. And it’s been a while since I’ve had them, now they cost $1.25.

And while we’re on the subject of being cheap, who else has a plastic table cloth on their kitchen table?
Please say there is someone else out there. In my defense, I have 3 kids that aren’t completely house broken and underneath that plastic is an antique table. I like to enjoy dinner time with my family, not worry about what they might spill, drip, not clean up.

And they’re cheap, so when hubby puts aluminum foil holding hot bacon, fresh out of the toaster oven and melts my table cloth, I just put on a new one and put the melted one in the “can be used as a drop cloth” bin in my storage room.

Sorry, back to the recipe.

These bars blew my mind! The chocolate is fudgy, and the oatmeal cookie just puts them over the top. I can’t wait to try out a few of my favorite recipes that call for graham cracker crumbs and replace it with other cheapo cookies from the Dollar Store.

Millionaire Squares

• 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Instructions

1. Melt 1/2 cup butter in medium saucepan over low heat or in glass bowl in microwave.
  2. Crush cookies, like you would for making a pie crust. I used 2/3 of my package. We won't talk about what happened to the rest. These cookies are hard, using a food processor or mini chopper like I have is easiest.
  3. Combine butter and crumbs till all crumbs are moist and buttery. Reserve 1/4 cup for topping. Press remaining crumbs into the bottom of a greased 8 x 8 pan. I placed a square of parchment paper on the bottom of my pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
  4. Heat chocolate and 1/2 cup butter in medium saucepan on lowest heat, stirring often until chocolate is almost melted. Remove from heat and stir until smooth.
  5. Add egg, beat well to combine, stir in sugar, just a spoonful at a time. Once all sugar is added and you have a smooth consistency, stir in nuts. Spread evenly over crust, using the back of a spoon.
  6. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top. Chill until firm.
  7. Using the parchment paper on the bottom of the pan makes it easy to remove to a cutting board and cut evenly into squares. I cut into 16 squares.

Notes

I can’t wait to try the lemon cookies, the shortbread cookies and the coconut cookies as crusts. So much cheaper than Graham crackers and if the taste is anything like these bars, oh my!

Want more bar recipes to try?

Birthday-Blondies-from-ChocolateChocolateandmore.com

Birthday Blondes

Smores Cookie Bar

Smores Cookie Bars

Pecan Pie Bars

Pecan pie Bars

Ultimate Chocolate chocolate Chip Muffin from www.chocolatechocolateandmore.com

Ultimate Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies, the prefect alternative for those with Nut allergies

Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies

Rocky Road Pudding Popsicles, chocolate, marshmallows, almonds, all together in a frozen treat!

Rocky Road Pudding Pops

Chocolate-Peanut-Butter-Fudge

Chocolate peanut Butter Fudge

Blogger Disclosure

Posts may include links to my affiliate account at Amazon.com, and Chocolate, Chocolate and more earns a few cents on the dollar if readers purchase the items I recommend, so thanks for supporting my blog when you shop at Amazon!

Don’t Miss a Post! Get Updates By Email:

Get all of these delicious recipes delivered directly to your inbox.

Comments

1. I grew up eating off of a table with those vinyl tablecloths. Nothing wrong with them! Ours frequently got melted too. The bars look so good. Who knew you could use cheapo store-bought cookies as an ingredient? Very inventive!

2. These look so yummy. My kids would love them… Who are we kidding so would I lol

3. I’m a happy owner of many different table cloths for each season! This looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing, I’m with you on the left over cookies in the bag – we won’t tell anyone :)

4. I need that crust! Omg it’s awesome.

5. That looks decadent and absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

6. Anonymous says:

dOES THE HEAT FROM THE CHOCOLATE TAKE CARE OF THE RAW EGG?

• That is a question I had too, I can’t imagine it does, but you could use pasteurized eggs, which are available in the egg section at the grocery.

7. These look amazing! I’ll have to give them a try..thanks for sharing the recipe :)

8. I can sure see why these Squares would be worth a Million they look delicious! Hope you have a fabulous Celebration Week End and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

9. These look really good and my family loves all of the ingredients so this would work for us. haha! Thanks for sharing at the Rock ‘N Share!

10. YUM!!! What a great idea!

11. This recipe looks so good! I love oatmeal and chocolate together.

12. Anonymous says:

Those look absolutely delicious. I’ll definitely have to try them out.

13. I’m trying these…they sound so good!!! Where did the name come from?

14. Ruth Cobb says:

A good looking recipe that looks so much better than the sum of its parts. I love easy recipes that look like you’ve slaved all day. Don’t tell the family though

15. Cindy Burrell says:

These look and sound delicious and they are so easy to make! I’ve got to get a package of oatmeal cookies and I’ll be ready to make these! I love a vinyl tablecloth-if something is spilled, it wipes right up and it’s great for crafts.

16. Linnea Korbas says:

I am curious about the raw egg? Is the heat from the chocolate enough to cook it???

• Linnea, similar to a chocolate mousse, the egg won’t cook all the way but it’s not slimy raw either. If you like mousse, you’ll love these bars.

• Linnea Korbas says:

Thank you Joan for your reply. I cannot wait to try this recipe. Most of this recipe is very similar to a favorite cookie of mine… “No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies”.

17. These sound really good except for the RAW egg, is it really necessary? What purpose does it serve? The filling sounds fine without it.

• The raw egg isn’t really raw as your stirring it into the hot melted chocolate creating a mousse, Without the eg I imagine the chocolate would be harder. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

18. Shucks, I use plastic tablecloths on our kitchen table. We just bought our first house last fall, and we’re still getting the hang of paying new & different bills. Things are tight. I sometimes find these critters at the dollar store. As long as they’re bright & relatively attractive, I’m sold!

19. For one second, I sort of questioned the raw egg as others have, but when you realize that they are pasteurized, it should take the worry away. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, “in-shell pasteurized eggs may be used safely without cooking”. For example, they may safely be consumed raw (as in raw cookie dough or eggnog) or in undercooked forms (such as a sunny-side up egg). Considering how many of us steal bites of raw cookie dough, I doubt this semi-cooked egg will bother anyone.

Wonderful recipe! thanks so much for sharing. I’m even considering changing it up to peanut butter cookies and peanuts (after I make the original, of course)!

20. I would not use a raw egg. There is not enough heat to kill any possible salmonella bacteria. I would sub a pastiurized egg product like Egg Beaters

21. First of all I have plastic tablecloths and it is just me but they are cut out with filigree cuttings and etc one thinks they are a fancy linen tablecloth until they touch it.
    I love the thought at the price of food to be able to buy at the Dollar store for baking needs. I thank you for your frugalness but not for the calories.lolllll

22. I have a vinyl tablecloth. I tried cloth. Even with just myself and husband home and my son grown and on his own they were always in the wash. I don’t care if the vinyl is tacky. It is also EASY!

23. Amy Watson says:

I am a lover of all things sweets one of my favorite things to bake for my family is cheesecake and all kinds of cookie bars, l started years ago using the cheap dollar cookies for my cheesecake crust, you can find a flavor for every kind of cheesescake…..and if you use the ones with a cream middle you don’t need to add the butter to make it hold together….yummy recipe, l will be making these this week, cookie bars are so easy to pack in the hubbys lunch.

24. We don’t have these cookies in the uk what can I use instead pleas

25. By the way my mother always use the plastic table cloths as well

26. I think i am going to try leaving out the egg and add some heavy cream to it instead. I don’t care for the idea of egg in the chocolate, and the fact that it doesn’t get heated to a safe temperature.

27. Kirsten says:

Salmonella exists on the EXTERIOR of egg shells. Store bought eggs are scrubbed to within an millimeter of breaking and the likelihood of contamination is nil. Your cutting board is dirtier than that egg shell is. They also pastuerize eggs before shipment. There is so much misinformation about raw eggs and salmonella it’s mind boggling.

28. I love love love the recipes you suggest, but I think I enjoy the peek into your family slightly more. I am glad to know I am not the only one the suffers the “oops’ and the mishaps” of life. As far as plastic table cloths go I think there are more of us out there that use them than not. You can even get fancy with them by using clear plastic table cloths with a lacy looking one under it. The possibilities are endless, while protecting a treasure!