Easy Creme Brulee – A creamy, pudding-like, baked custard with a sugar shell on top that you have to break through, and you don’t even need a blow torch!
So, this was actually my first time ever making and eating Creme Brulee, so of course, I wanted to make the easy version of it so I wouldn’t screw it up too much, and for when I did screw up, I could easily fix it.
I wanted to do a recipe where you didn’t need a blow torch because 1. I don’t own a blow torch, and 2. am pretty sure a lot of people don’t own a blow torch either, so I wanted this to be a recipe that everyone could make with things just lying around the house and not have to go buy something they’ll use once for this recipe then toss it and forget it.
Easy Creme Brulee :
For the ingredients, you’ll need :
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 1/3 cups of granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
And for the sugar shell on top, you’ll need :
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of honey
Once you’ve gathered all the necessary ingredients, you’ll also need a medium saucepan.
On medium-low heat, bring the heavy whipping cream, vanilla, salt, and 1/3 cup of sugar to a simmer and then remove from heat. The creamy mixture should now be thin and a light yellow color.
Then in a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and the other 1/3 cup of sugar.
Now, it’s time to combine. Except, you don’t want to just throw it all together before the eggs are tempered because that will result in some sweet and creamy scrambled eggs.
So, you’ll need to temper the eggs by stirring a 1/3 cup of the hot cream mixture into the eggs. Once the eggs are tempered, you can stir in the rest of the hot mixture.
Fill up the ramekins, leaving some space at the top for the sugar shell, then place in a large baking dish. Fill the baking dish halfway up the ramekins with hot water then bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.
When finished baking, place in the fridge for an hour.
For the sugar shell, bring the sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan on low heat. Remove from heat and add in the water and honey. Quickly pour on top of the custard and let harden.
Then it’s ready to serve!
My boyfriend and I definitely enjoyed these delicious Easy Creme Brulee’s, and luckily I made them on date night, and this made the night even more perfect!
Easy Creme Brulee
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
Sugar Shell Topping
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp honey
- In a medium saucepan, bring the heavy cream, vanilla, salt, and 1/3 cup sugar to a simmer, then remove from heat.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and the other 1/3 cup of sugar together.
- Add 1/3 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture to temper the eggs s they won't scramble, then add the rest of the hot cream mixture into the tempered eggs.
- Fill ramekins with the mixture, leaving room at the top. Fill a large baking dish with hot water halfway up the ramekins then bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes. Place in the fridge for an hour after baking.
- In a saucepan, bring the sugar to a simmer then remove from heat. Add in the water and honey. Pour on top of the baked custard then let set.