Rich Chocolate Ice Cream made with a custard base make this so smooth and creamy
OK, this is not a kiddie ice cream. This is an ice cream for adults. No, it’s not boozy. It’s decadent, it’s smooth, it’s rich, it’s creamy. It’s like silk sliding down your throat. Not for kids. They just wouldn’t appreciate it. At least my kids wouldn’t.
Well maybe they would. I honestly don’t know because I hid this ice cream in the back of the freezer, under the frozen veggies, so they wouldn’t find it. I know, I’m a horrible mother. I admit it. It’s not like I don’t let them have ice cream. They get plenty. And I even add fun stuff to their ice cream like strawberries and Nutty Bars.
But this ice cream was good. I mean really good. I mean I licked the ice cream beater from the machine and had chocolate ice cream drool running down my chin good.
I wasn’t going to let a drop of this ice cream go to waste. Especially on a child. I know, I’m really trying to earn that mother of the year award. But seriously, I can buy the cheap ice cream and pour some chocolate syrup on it and they’d be happy.
Connect with Chocolate Chocolate and More!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder ( I used Hershey's)
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine cream, milk and cocoa, whisking to combine. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until completely melted. set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until a pale yellow and thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of milk mixture to egg/sugar mixture while continuing to whisk so you don't cook your eggs. Repeat 2 more times adding 1/2 cup of milk mixture to egg mixture.
- Stir egg mixture back into saucepan with remaining milk mixture. Place back on stove and over medium-low heat bring back to a simmer. Continue to stir until mixture thickens slightly and coats the spoon. About 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour through a mesh strainer into a medium bowl to remove any lumps that may have formed. Stir in vanilla and place bowl in an ice bath to cool to room temperature.
- Completely chill mixture in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight is best. Freeze in Ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
Looking for more Ice Cream Ideas?
Lemon Pie Ice Cream from Lark’s Country Heart