Roxana from Roxana’s Home Baking here sharing an easy recipe for scrumptious double chocolate coconut bars.
These bars happened way too early in the day. It was just past 5 am. I woke up craving German chocolate cake (one of my favorites). Still sleepy and trying not to make too much noise I just dumped a few ingredients in the mixing bowl, gave it a whirl and in the oven it went. 30 minutes later and the heavenly smell of chocolate and coconut was taking over my kitchen. I could hardly wait to dig in. No time to make the frosting, all I needed was a fork.
Unfortunately my plan didn’t quite go as I hoped. The rest of the family woke up and before I knew it it was time to get out of the house and go to my weekly meeting, with a pan of brownies never tested. Nervous, but I could care less. I was seeing my friends, they have seen the best and the worst of me.
Surprisingly, the first batch got high praise but I was not quite satisfied with the results. For me they were overly sweets and somehow crumbly.
A couple of hours later I was back home and it was time to turn the oven on.
This time I measured carefully all the ingredients, waited patiently by the oven door to make sure I don’t over-bake them and quickly whip up a thick ganache to take my chocolate coconut dessert to the next level.
Of course, for a fancy look you can top them with some toasted coconut but I had no time for that. All I wanted was to stuff my face with it. And so I did.
The bars are a cross between a brownie and a cake. Of course, you can call them brownies or cake but since I couldn’t quite decide I through simple chocolate coconut bars will do the trick.
They are bursting with coconut flavor from both the coconut extract and the shredded coconut. Make sure you use the sweetened coconut flakes. Not only they bring sweetness to the bars but moisture as well.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (vanilla extract can be used instead)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line an 11X7″ baking pan with parchment paper, leaving about 1 inch hanging over the sides for easy removal.
- In a mixing bowl, with the paddle attachment on, add the butter and sugar. Beat on low speed until the butter is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Stir in the coconut extract.
- Gently fold in the flour and cocoa powder. Stir until there are no signs of raw flour.
- With a spatula, fold in the coconut flakes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 33-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the dessert from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- To make the ganache, melt the chocolate chips with the butter in a heatproof bowl, either in the microwave or in a double boiler.
- Pour over the dessert and refrigerate until the chocolate is set.
- Cut into 12-15 bars.