Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Bars are a delectable combination of sweet and salty. The crunch of the pretzels adds great texture to these bars.
I was going to add a layer of melted caramels but apparently someone in my house got into the bag of caramels and enjoyed half of them.
So, I decided to use a can of dulce de leche that I had in the cabinet. If you don’t have one you can make it using sweetened condensed milk.
My family loved these bars but sometimes I make too much for us to eat.
Most of this pan of treats went to a home for teenage boys that is near our house. It always does me good to see how excited they get about what I bring for them.
The bottom layer is crushed pretzels with butter and brown sugar. I baked it for a little while to get it toasty and crunchy.
Then the layer of dulce de leche topped with rich chocolate and more crushed pretzels. Of course there had to be drizzled chocolate on top. Everything is better with more chocolate.
- 2 cups of crushed pretzels
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 can dulce de leche
- 8 ounces chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Crush pretzels and mix with brown sugar and butter.
- Press the pretzel mixture into the bottom of 8x8 pan and bake for 10 minutes
- While the pretzel base is still warm cover with dulce de leche and let it cool.
- Melt chocolate and pour on top.
- Decorate with more crushed pretzels and chocolate.
If you don't have dulce de leche you can melt caramels with a little bit of heavy cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 102mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g