Magic Turtle Bars

Magic Turtle Bars-Chocolate, Caramel and Pecans, come together in this fabulous Magic Bar

Wow, who knew taking a few days off for the holidays would put me so out of whack? The kids may be on vacation from school and the hubby did get a few extra days off, but as the mom, I didn’t get any time off. The laundry still needed to be done, the family still wants to eat and then there’s all the “extra” associated with the holidays. The decorating, the big meals, feeding 9 for 6 days, even if breakfast is cereal or bagels, still adds up when it comes time to do the dishes.

I wouldn’t trade a moment of it. The house still needs to be put back in shape, the decorations now need to be taken down and stored. I am making everyone eat leftovers, so at least I’m getting out of preparing “new” meals. Besides, our turkey was to die for and we also had a ham so there’s plenty! I’d like to tell you we still have plenty of sweets around but, the supply is quickly dwindling.

In addition to making my family eat leftovers the past 3 nights, I also hid these bars from them. Well, not exactly hid, but I did put them in a solid (not see through) container, in the back, behind all the other treats. Technically, I might have buried them, just so I could keep them for myself. You can’t blame me. Chocolate, caramel and pecans, the greatest combination ever! No one suffered. I made sure they had the Magic Christmas Bars, Mexican Wedding Cookies, Grandma’s Sugar Cookies, Peanut Butter Cookie Cups, and tons of Bark.

Sometimes you just have to keep something out for yourself. Just the really good stuff.

You can make these with just one bag of the caramel bits, but, really, why would you want to?

Magic Turtle Bars

Magic Turtle Bars

Ingredients

• 2 cups crushed vanilla cookies (I used imitation Vanilla wafers)
  • 1/2 cup butter melted (1 stick)
  • 2 bags semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1-2 bags Kraft Caramel Bits
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
  • 1 cans sweetened condensed milk

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Lightly spray or grease a 9 x 13 pan.
  3. Combine crushed cookies and butter till combined and cookie crumbs are moist. Spread evenly in bottom of pan, pressing down to form a crust.
  4. Now start layering the rest of the ingredients. 1 bag chocolate chips, caramel bits, pecans (save out about 1/4 cup for the top), second bag of chocolate chips, remaining pecans.
  5. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk over the entire pan, make sure to cover all the nooks and crannies.
  6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, just until milk begins to turn golden. Let cool completely before cutting.
  7. Store in airtight container. If you choose to refrigerate these bars, bring them back to room temperature before eating.

Notes

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Looking for more Turtle inspiration?
Turtle Bark
Try my Turtle Bark
Rolo-Pretzel-Turtles-from-ChocolateChocolateandmore-92a
Chocolate Chip Turtle Cookies from Crazy for Crust
Turtle Cheesecake Fudge from Inside Brucrew
Chocolate Turtle Cookies from Pixelated Crumb
Turtle Popcorn from Cravings of a Lunatic

Don’t Miss a Post! Get Updates By Email:

Get all of these delicious recipes delivered directly to your inbox.

Comments

1. Sounds like a busy holiday for you but a good one. Your bars look delicious, great for a simple but rich sweet treat for the new year.

2. These bars look incredible, Joan!

3. I love you more than…more than…more than…dare I say it…turtles. Thanks for the new turtle recipe I’ll be making and hogging all to myself when I make it. And thanks for sharing my link. I’ll be doing the same link love thingy in the new year. It’s a great way to spread the love. Hope you had an awesome holiday. I’ll touch base once my son leaves for home. Right now I’m in “my family is all under one roof” mode. Barely working, only when I absolutely have to. xx

4. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel says:

Oh wow, Joan–these bars are incredible! SO many delicious layers of sticky, gooey goodness. You’re inspiring me for another magic bar idea… :)

5. These look great! I have all the items needed and it’s too darn cold to get out today so these will be a nice treat for the hubs! Thanks!

6. Hi Joan! I would try keep a stash of these bars just for myself but if my husband found them that would be the end of my stash for sure!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday with your family but I know it’s a lot of work for us moms and grand moms around the holidays;-) I hope you have some nice R & R over the weekend and have a very Happy New Years, look forward to your recipes in 2013;-)

7. Yum … I’ll definitely be making those!

8. So, I’ve now visited this post 3 times. That says something. I’m making these. Yes, right now.

9. Sounds like the holidays are treating you well! These bars are magical – magically delicious! Need to make these soon!!!

10. Yum!! These definitely are magic! Glad you had a great holiday!

11. Great name for these, they really look sinfully delicious!

12. I love these! =) Your recipe sounds so easy! thanks!

13. I hide treats in the vegetable crisper. I’m the only one who ever goes in there! :) Have a very happy new year, Joan!

14. Oh I totally hide treats from my family too ;)

15. These have me drooling, so yummy looking!

16. Joan, you always make me drool. These look fab. Happy New Year!

17. Wow!!! We would love for you to share this at our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Link party! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2013/01/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link-party.html

18. Wow, these look sinfully good. Can’t wait to try them. Visiting from a Pinteresting link party and off to pin this.

19. These look super yummy! Pinning now!! http://pinkgerberdaisies-kady.blogspot.com/

20. These look DELICIOUS!! I looove turtle sundaes, but not in winter! These will be my new go-to :) Thanks for sharing!
    Cathy

21. This is a to.die.for Killer recipe! I would soooooo love it.

22. Oooo, these look so delish!!

23. Anonymous says:

I have these in the oven now for my Dads birthday present. I may have to have a taste! dabsmom02@yahoo com

24. oh my goodness, I love magic bars and I love turtles, these look A-MAZING. I saw your post on crazy for crusts round up, and I can’t wait to try these!

25. pattie kuipers says:

Can not wait to try these! One quick question….what size can of milk do I need?
    Thanks,
    Pattie~

26. Mmm I love magic bars – but with caramel to make them like turtles? yum!!

27. Oh, these Magic Turtle Bars look SO yummy. I found your recipe on Pinterest, and I have a question. I have used sweetened condensed milk before and find that it is really hard to drizzle or pour evenly. Can it be heated in the microwave so that it is thinner and easier to drizzle? I have wondered but have been afraid to try that. What do you think? Thanks and I’m so glad I found you!
    ~ Jan

• I’d be careful heating it, I know you can cook sweetened condensed milk and turn it into dulce de leche. I use a bottle opener and poke a hole in the top of the can to drizzle, it does take a few minutes. If the kids are around I let them do it, while I get a head start on clean up.

28. Dixie Storm says:

I was wondering which size bag of chocolate chips you use and are the Kraft Caramel bits located where the chocolate chips are as I have never used these. Also, thanks for the great tip on how to drizzle the condensed milk as it is rather thick.

29. Dixie Storm says:

Thanks for replying. I shall be trying these great sounding bars.

30. Randa Johnson says:

Can these be made with crushed pretzels instead of vanilla wafers, for a sweet and salty combination?

31. We don;t have the kraft caramel bits in Canada, could I cut up some carmels??? the bars look awesome!

32. mmmm, I have been craving magic bars and this looks like an awesome recipe! May have to go make some right now :-)

33. I just made these but after cooking for the given amount of time and then cooling them I don’t think they cooked through. I’m going to try cooking for another 10 minutes but think I’ve ruined them. Ugh !!!

34. I wonder if these would work with the boiled sweetened condensed milk caramel. It would be a LOT easier than unwrapping! They sound wonderful!

35. sharon whyte says:

how many ouences of carmel bits do u use? if i can’t find need 2 know how much carmels in weight 2 use. thanks.

• Each bag of caramel bits weighs 11 ounces so depending on how caramelly you want your bars, adjust accordingly. There is no too much or too little with this recipe, just what tastes good to you in the end!

36. what are carmel bites and where would I find them

37. Could I substitute a different nut for the pecans? Nuts like pecans and walnuts leave an oily taste/film in my mouth that I can’t stand, so I don’t eat them (and it doesn’t matter if they are toasted or not).

38. I saw these the other day!! I love all your great recipes!! Thanks for sharing!! Making these right now. I will let you know how they turn out

39. Can you use peanuts instead of pecans in this recipe? We’re not big on pecans around here.

40. Just made these (also made Cream Cheese Squares) and cannot wait to try them! I also added a half of a 12-oz bag of white chocolate chips…. increased the pecans a bit since we love pecans…. am already salivating! Can’t wait to share them with family on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!! Will come back and let you know how they turned out :)

41. I made these a couple of weeks ago and they were gorgeous. I live in England (where you can’t buy caramel bits), and I had some leftover homemade caramel on hand which had pretty much solidified to a soft fudge, so I chopped that up and it worked wonderfully, thanks for sharing the recipe!

42. Does the recipe call for 1 or 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk? In the recipe, it says 1 cans and I was wondering if it was supposed to say 2 cans. Thanks!

Trackbacks