These salty caramel chocolate bars are chewy and have layer upon layer of caramel and chocolate goodness on top of a soft oatmeal cookie crust.
This weekend has been a hectic one. I was hoping I can get back to a routine after taking some days off, but it seems things just pile up on my plate before I even have a chance to finish one task. Tomorrow will be better I kept telling myself for the last 10 days. But, as you know, somehow tomorrow never comes unless you make some drastic changes. Like I did yesterday.
So, instead of catching up on house chores, clean up a little bit so the constructor people put some paneling on the wall in the laundry room, I left everything as it was and turn my oven on. It was time for a sweet and salty treat and will make everyone weak to their knees. Like these out of this world bars! Oh my!
I know what you’re saying right now “But I don’t like sweet and salty desserts” Trust me, a bite of these irresistible bars and you’ll be hooked!
The bars start with a buttery-soft oatmeal cookie crust. It uses basic pantry/fridge staples – all-purpose flour, oats, brown sugar, butter and 1 egg. I love adding brown sugar to the crust. It gives a caramelly flavor.
For the ooey gooey caramel layer, I melted store-bought caramels with heavy cream over low heat.
Finish the bars with chunks of semi-sweet chocolate and salted peanuts. I love a little salty touch in desserts! It makes each bite is irresistibly better than the last. YUM!
If you prefer, you can sprinkle some fleur de sel over the caramel layer, but I fear it may overpower the bars.
Everybody love this combination, and what is not to love about. Layers of goodness one upon another.. amazing chewy caramel over the soft cookie layer and topped with a nutty chocolate layer.
The bars are great when you need a quick and easy dessert for an event, party, or just happen to have a craving for chocolate and caramel and don’t want to make anything fussy.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 (one) 14 oz package caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup salted dry roasted peanuts
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line an 11X7" baking pan with parchment paper leaving about 1 inch of paper hanging on the sides. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl of a mixer add the butter and sugar. With the paddle attachment on, beat on low speed until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat few more seconds until combined.
- Stir in the flour and oats. Beat until there's no more dry flour. The mixture will be a little crumbly. To not worry.
- With your fingers, press the mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 23-25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the unwrapped caramels and the heavy cream. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the partially baked crust.
- Top with the peanuts and chocolate chunks and return to the oven for an additional 12-14 minutes until the chocolate is softened and caramel begins to bubble around the edges.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for about 1 1/2 hours before cutting into bars.