Ham and Cheese Quiche is easy to make, great for brunch, lunch or a light dinner. A great way to use up leftovers.
Quiche is one of my favorite things to eat. A buttery crust. Lots of cheese, some ham. Throw in whatever’s in the crisper drawer-onion, bell bepper, broccoli. Some spices, eggs and cream.
You can cheat and use a store bought crust. I won’t judge, but making your own is easy.
Just flour, salt, cold butter and cold water.
Stir together your flour and salt in a large bowl. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives and cut the butter into the flour mixture. Add the cold water until your dough sticks together. Wrap it in plastic wrap and chill for an hour before rolling out.
You want to blind bake (bake with no filling) your crust before filling. You can use pie weights or rice, or beans, but I’ve fould just a thick layer of foil works well. I fold my foil over 3 times, then press it into my crust to hold the shape. Bake as directed then remove the foil and fill.
I go for lots of cheese.
Bake until top starts to golden
Then let it cool for 30 minutes (or longer) before slicing.
Connect with Chocolate Chocolate and More!
Facebook | Twitter | Google+
Pinterest | instagram
Ham & Cheese Quiche
for the crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons butter, cut and chilled
- 4 Tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 Tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 1/2 cups shreeded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt*
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Prepare your crust-Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture until butter is very small. Add cold water (make sure it is ice cold) and blend until dough forms. Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. Place crust in pie plate and gently press to shape of pie plate. Trim any excess crust from edges, leaving 1/2 inch above pie plate. Use a large piece of alluminum foil and fold it over 3 times (or use heavy duty foil) Press foil inside of prepared crust to help hold shape.
- Bake crust in a preheated 450 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and fill. Turn oven heat down to 325 degrees.
- While crust is baking, saute onions in butter or oil just until translucent and soft. from from pan and place on a paper towl to soak up any extra liquid.
- Toss shredded cheese with flour to coat.
- Layer onions, ham and cheese evenly, and in this order, in baked pie crust.
- Using a hand mixer, beat eggs on medium speed until frothy. Add in cream and milk and beat again for 3-4 minutes. Add in slat, pepper, dry mustard and parsley, mix just to combine.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over cheese layer. Leave about 3/4 inch of crust above fill line.
- Bake quiche for 45-50 minutes at 325 degrees (make sure you turned the temperature down) until center is firm.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 30 minutes before slicing.
If using a deep dish pie plate, increase eggs to 5 and add an addition 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
Adjust salt according to the saltiness of your ham. I used leftoveer Honey Baked Ham and used 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
Want more brunch ideas?
Cinnamon Crumb Breakfast Bread from Foodness Gracious
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes from Two Peas and Their Pod
Snickerdoodle Scones from Crunchy, Creamy, Sweet
Leave a Reply