Cosmic Brownies – Yes, you read that right, Cosmic Brownies. Just like the ones from your childhood, but way better. These are fudgier, twice the size, and the homemade chocolate ganache topping just makes them ten times better than the one from the store.
I grew up eating the Little Debbie treats, and the Cosmic Brownies were my favorite. I mean, how doesn’t love a good brownie? And this homemade version just makes it so much better.
This is such an easy recipe and is definitely kid-friendly! My nephew helped me make them, and his mom (my sister) helped us eat them!
All you need for the brownies is 3/4 cup of butter (1.5 sticks), 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar, 3/4 cup of brown sugar, 4 eggs, 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, 1 1/2 cups of cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s), 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
To begin, microwave the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a large microwavable bowl until butter is melted (should take about one minute).
Stir, then microwave for 30 more seconds and let cool for a few minutes.
Next, you’ll add in the eggs, vanilla, cornstarch, and baking soda.
Then, add in the cocoa powder and flour. It’s best to do this by hand (not using a mixer) so you won’t over mix.
Finally, add in the vegetable oil.
The batter should look like this. Goodness, it looked do good I wanted to eat the batter straight out of the bowl!
Now that the batter is made, butter a 9×13 pan then layer wax paper in the pan. Spread the batter as evenly as possible on top of the wax paper.
Bake at 350 degrees for 24-26 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan before removing it.
For the chocolate ganache, you’ll need 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
Pour the chocolate and heavy cream into a microwave-safe bowl or cup and microwave for 30 seconds and stir, add another 30 seconds if needed. The ganache should be thick.
Spread the ganache on top of the brownies. Add sprinkles before the ganache hardens (I know these aren’t the exact sprinkles but I couldn’t find the actual sprinkles so this is what I had to work with). The ganache won’t harden right away, but chilling in the fridge will speed up the process.
Now THAT looks delicious.
Cosmic Brownie Batter
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1.5 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large microwavable bowl, microwave the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until butter is melted, stir, then microwave for 30 more seconds. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Mix in eggs, vanilla, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch.
- Mix in cocoa powder and flour, making sure not to over mix.
- Stir in vegetable oil.
- Butter a 9x13 pan and layer wax paper in the buttered pan. Spread batter into pan, bake at 350 for 24-26 minutes, then let cool completely before removing from the pan.
- For the ganache, microwave the chocolate and heavy cream for 30 seconds and stir, add an additional 30 seconds if needed.
- Spread ganache on brownies, and sprinkle sprinkles on top.
- The ganache will harden on its own, chill in the fridge to speed up the process.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 3gSugar: 39gProtein: 5g