This Chocolate Cannoli Cake is full of flavor and topped with fudge and crunchy cannoli.
This cake is HUGE! After it is assembled it is almost seven inches tall. Tons of chocolate and the creamiest cannoli filling.
The cake is the same recipe used in our Ding Dong Cake. I made it three layers for this one so that there is even more filling.
I topped it with a thick fudgy chocolate ganache that is so rich and delicious. Of course it wouldn’t be complete without a lot of cannoli on top.
The layers are so thick that you need to cut the slices small. You can feed a lot of people with this cake.
Chocolate Cannoli Cake will satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth but it’s not too sweet.
You can make cannoli shells but I wasn’t up for that this time. If your local bakery makes cannoli then they might sell you some shells or you can just buy them online.
My family couldn’t wait to dig into this cake. Everyone at work can’t wait for us to actually be back in person so that I can fill them full of sweets.
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Chop chocolate so no pieces are larger than a chocolate chip. Place chocolate in a medium bowl or a 2 cup measuring cup and pour hot coffee over chocolate. Let sit for 5 minutes then stir, making sure all chocolate is melted and well combined with coffee. Set aside to cool.
- Sift all dry ingredients together-sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the a large mixing bowl (or the mixing bowl of your stand mixer) beat eggs on medium speed until frothy.
- Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla and chocolate-coffee mixture to eggs, beating well to blend.
- Add in sugar/flour/cocoa mixture, one cup at a time, mixing just to combine after each addition.
- Pour batter into 3 9 inch cake pans that have been well greased and lined with parchment paper on the bottom.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, using toothpick to test for doneness.
- Let cakes cool completely in pan. Using a plastic knife, run knife around edges to loosen before turning out onto rack or plate.
- For the filling combine all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips and beat until creamy. Add chocolate chips.
- For the ganache heat cream until just before boil and add to chocolate. You can change the amount of cream depending on how thick you want the ganache.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 253mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 36gProtein: 5g