A super moist, rich and decadent chocolate cake that everyone will love!
Hey guys it’s Jessica from Sprinkle Some Sugar! If anyone knows me, they know I have a pretty unreal obsession with chocolate. It’s a mystery how I am not 3,000 pounds by now. But what comes with being a chocolate connoisseur, is knowing the good recipes from the bad. This amazing chocolate layer cake is one of my favorites and my go-to for birthdays and special occasions! Every person in my family requests this cake for their birthday, it’s pretty funny!
Depending on where I am taking the cake, sometimes I’ll change out the regular cocoa powder for dark cocoa powder in both the cake recipe and the frosting recipe to make the chocolate flavor even deeper. The way I have it in the recipe here for you guys today, is more of a devil’s food cake flavor. Super chocolate-y, sooo moist and delicious. It is literally the perfect chocolate cake.
By adding hot coffee to the batter, it really intensifies the chocolate flavor and brings it out in a whole different way. You cannot taste the coffee at all but if you are serving this cake to kids, you might want to keep that in mind. 🙂 Hot water is just fine to substitute and is what the original recipe calls for.
The frosting comes from a frosted brownie recipes on my site – SO GOOD. It’s so creamy, super chocolate-y and delicious. You guys are going to love this cake!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 5 tbs corn syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9" baking pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper circles to ensure no sticking.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt together until combined. Make a well in the center and add eggs, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla. Beat until fully incorporated. Add hot coffee and beat again. Batter is supposed to be very thin.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared baking pans. Bake 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool for 10-15 minutes in hot pans before inverting onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- While cakes are cooling, you can prepare frosting. In a large bowl, beat butter and corn syrup until smooth. Add cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla, and cream a little bit at a time until desired consistency is achieved, beating until fully combined. About 2 minutes.
- To assemble cake: place one cake layer on a cake plate and add a generous amount of frosting on top in an even layer. Add second cake layer on top and frost the top and sides of cake.
You might also like: