Fat Man’s Delight

Fat Man’s Delight-luscious layers of cheesecake filling, chocolate pudding and cool whip all on top of a pecan crust. Can easily be made low sugar/calorie.

Fat Man's Delight-luscious layers of cheesecake filling, chocolate pudding and cool whip all on top of a pecan crust. Can easily be made low sugar/calorie.

We have to talk about this dessert. I can’t stand the name, Fat Man’s Delight. Honestly, I feel like I’m being insulting, so everyone, please do not take offence. I tried to think of a better name for this dessert. 4-layer delight. Cheesecake, Pudding, Coolwhip Dessert?

The name couldn’t just have chocolate in the name. It’s so much more than chocolate. And it couldn’t just be about the cheesecake, although I do love the cheesecake layer.

What makes this dessert so good is how all the flavors blend together in your mouth, not overpowering each other, fighting for the attention of your taste buds. So I just left the name alone. It’s what we’ve always called it.

You wanna know the real surprise flavor in this dessert? It’s the crust. No sugar in it so it completely balances the sweetness from the other layers. Those crunchy pecans are the perfect foundation to build this dessert on.

You can easily make this dessert a dieter’s dream. Just a few simple substitutions. Use sugar free pudding mix and the lower fat cream cheese and cool whip. Change out the powdered sugar for artificial sweetener and no one will ever notice the difference.

Fat Man’s Delight

Fat Man’s Delight

Ingredients

for the crust
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • cheesecake layer
  • 8 ounces cream cheese
  • 8 ounces cool whip
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • pudding layer
  • 1 box instant chocolate pudding (4 serving size)
  • 1 box instant vanilla pudding (4 serving size)
  • 3 cups milk
  • additional 8 ounce cool whip for topping

Instructions

1. Combine crust ingredients and press into a 9x13 baking pan. Don't worry if there are holes in the crust.
  2. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Lett cool completely.
  3. Cheesecake layer-Beat together cream cheese, and sugar then stir in cool whip until smooth. Spread evenly over crust.
  4. Pudding layer-combine both pudding mixes with milk and whisk until combined then stir for an additional 2 minutes until thickened. Spread over cheesecake layer.
  5. Top with additional cool whip.
  6. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Notes

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Looking for other delightful fun desserts?

Icebox Cake-Chocolate Wafers and Whipped Cream make the perfect cool summer dessert

Icebox Cake

Texas Sheet Cake from www.chocolatechocolateandmore.com

Texas Sheet Cake

Chocolate Overload Loaded Brownies

Chocolate Overload Loaded Brownies

Smore's Brownie Cake-graham cracker crust, chocolatey cake and topped with toasted marshmallows

Smores Brownie Cake

Chocolate Malted Pudding from CrazyforCrust

Chocolate Malted Pudding from Crazy for Crust

BTS or Poke Cake from Something Swanky

BTS or Poke Cake from Something Swanky

Blogger Disclosure

Posts may include links to my affiliate account at Amazon.com, and Chocolate, Chocolate and more earns a few cents on the dollar if readers purchase the items I recommend, so thanks for supporting my blog when you shop at Amazon!

Don’t Miss a Post! Get Updates By Email:

Get all of these delicious recipes delivered directly to your inbox.

Comments

1. Eldonna Ashley says:

We call the first dessert “Lucky if There is Any Left.” I have also heard it galled “Lush.” It is delicious made with lemon pudding, homemade butterscotch pudding, and even pistachio pudding. I use the pistachio pudding for St. Patrick’s Day. It is an excellent dessert.

2. This is one of my all-time favorite desserts! I remember the first time I ever had it when my aunt brought it to a family gathering during the hot summer. I’m so happy you made it Lighter!!

3. Rita Abfall says:

OMGoodness!!! I make this exact same recipe but instead of pecans I use walnuts. My Dad gave me the recipe when I first got married (11 years ago) and have made it on several occasions for extended family get togethers, or for friends. Always gotten rave reviews on this super yummy desert. I’ve never seen another person who had the same recipe….we call it Louisiana Yummy. No clue where then name came from, but since you don’t like the “Fat Man’s Delight” you could always use the name I’ve always called it. This made my evening! Thanks for the smiles! :)

4. I’ve made the ‘better than sex’ variations of this and it’s wicked good. I really don’t care what you call it, just give it to me!

5. That looks like something I could eat an entire pan of. Yum!!!

6. Barbara Hamilton says:

I made this a couple of weeks ago from a recipe I got off the internet. Their’s was named “Chocolate Eclair Cake” and it was really good.

7. I always knew this recipe as :” Four Layer Dessert”, cause it has four layers of absolute heaven, that blend perfectly together, and are magic when they reach your mouth!!

• Angie Peterson says:

I grew up eating this dessert and we always called it Barbara Mandrell’s Four Layer Cake! It is so good!!

8. Oh, my. Joan, this is one extraordinary dessert! Who cares what it is called as long as it’s on MY plate!

9. Ruby Brown says:

I did like you said I made it sugar free and fat free and calling it “Thin Persons Delight.”
    Love, Ruby

10. Connie Brennan says:

I’ve made the first dessert for many years and I called it Striped Delight. I love all your recipes.

11. Judi Hayes says:

I love this! Maybe we should call it Hayes delight since we both have that last name. LOL

12. In parts of Canada, this dessert is called ” Sex in a pan.”

13. Elizabeth says:

So instead of calling this desert Fat man’s delight, why not call it.. Chococheese delight, or Chocolate Cheese delight?

14. Living up in Buffalo, New York we always called it “slush” cake because it reminds you of the winter slush that always happens. Plus you can than eat anytime and not just for holidays. What ever it’s called it sure is yummy and a staple at every family gathering. Have made it with several different puddings and also several different nuts in crust. All are delightful.

15. Laura Singleton says:

My very large extended family from the Louisville, Ky / Southern Indiana area has always called this the
    “Better than Sex Dessert or Robert Redford Dessert”

16. I’ve seen this called Chocolate Lasagne and the first time I encountered it, I made it at work. It had yet another name and it was called Robert Redford. It was about 20 years ago. And I was told that it was called that because Robert Redford was “so yummy”.

17. One of the best desserts around! Around here it’s known as Sex in a Pan or Six Layer Desert for the conservative. :)

18. Dawn Cacioppo says:

In Mississippi we call it Mississippi Mud :-)

19. We call this dessert “Georgie Porgy”. Not sure where the name originated but it is the exact recipe. Absolutely delicious.

20. We have made this for many years and just call it a Delight. (using whatever flavor pudding)….chocolate delight or butterscotch delight or lemon delight.. You get the idea :)

21. Pam Bernard says:

I make this all the time. It’s the one everyone ask for. We always called it Mountain Momma. Lol funny but the only difference is I use pecan sandies for the crust.

• Kathy Pumeo says:

LOVE the idea for using Pecan Sandies and would like that recipe for the crust! We have made this in my family for years and have always known it as Chocolate Lush or Lemon Lush, whatever anyone calls it doesn’t really matter as long as you MAKE it! It’s simply De-LUSH-ious! I like to add chocolate curls to the top of the Cool Whip layer for a bit of extra eye appeal. Pam, you MUST be from West Virginia, as I was, with calling it Mountain Momma, lol!

22. My sister found this recipe years ago in a magazine. There it was called “Brain Pudding.” I have no idea how it got such a terrible name! ;-)

23. I have been making this for about 36 years. But we call it “Texas Yum-Yum.” The only thing I do different is make a layer with the chocolate pudding and another layer with the vanilla pudding. The rest is all the same as yours. This past Christmas I made it with pumpkin pudding and vanilla pudding. Everyone love it.

24. We make this every Christmas for our Christmas dinner dessert. It’s that good!! A friend in college gave me the recipe originally, but called it Better than Sex Cake/Robert Redford Cake. Have to admit, many a serving have been eaten as leftovers for breakfast the morning after Christmas! It is wonderful!

25. At our house we call it Charlesdessert after my husband because the rest of the family is lucky to get any of it.

26. Hi Joan,
    Stumbled onto your site and love it! I can remember as a child the first time my Mama made this and she called it Chocolate Sin. Needless to say it was a big hit with all our family and became a tradition at all the family potlucks. After now being married myself over 30 years, it’s been a favorite go-to dessert in my family too. Have really enjoyed seeing all the different names from all over.

27. Instead of Fat Man’s Delight, how about “I’ve Died and Gone to Heaven” or “Chocolate and So Much More”? As a fat woman, I know there must be another way to describe and enjoy it. 8-)

28. I have a recipe that is very similar. I was actually planning on making it this weekend. Your version looks delicious!!

29. What can I use instead of pecans some of family members have nut allergy.

30. I have this same recipe but it is called “sex in a pan” which sounds way better than “fat man’s delight”

31. kathy chapman gates says:

I’ve been making this for over 30 yrs. Here in East Tn. we call it “Holy Smoke”. First made it with butterscotch pudding, then with chocolate. My dad who was diabetic loved it, so I would use the fat free and sugarfree items to lighten It for him. No one could tell the difference.

32. Sandy Sheppard says:

Love your recipes,I have made the chocolate dessert for over35 yrs and it is called Chocolate Delight in our family.No matter the name it is a favorite.I have grandchildren getting married and I write out several recipes for their collection,this is always included.

33. We’ve always called it Chocolate Delight. And it is both chocolatety and delightful!

34. My mom used to make this 40 years ago and now I make it all the time. We’ve always called it Chocolate Ecstasy, and rightly so! It’s so luscious!

35. Helen Stafford says:

It sounds delicious. I’m in the UK. Do you know if cool whip is available here (I’ve never seen it). If not what could I use as an alternative? Thanks

36. We’ve always called it “3 Steps to Heaven”. I use pecans or walnuts, and only chocolate pudding. My sister has used pistachio pudding and it was well received. Love this!! :-)

37. Is there anything that can be used instead of pecans or other nuts? My kids can’t have them and I’ve got to make this! :-)

38. Teresa Kastner says:

I just made this yesterday for my Grandson & Son-in-law, while my Daughter is out of town on a business trip…They LOVED it!!!…I make this for potlucks, holidays, church dinners, etc…I have always known it as Chocolate Lush…Sounds better than Fat Man’s Dessert, don’t you think?

39. jerianne bateman says:

I LOVE this desert! I’m asked to bring it to every get together we have! And have been asked for the recipe many times.
    We call it Robert redford.
    But the crust is graham crackers and melted butter and sugar. I don’t prefer the crust with nuts. Imo.

40. I discovered this recipe in a magazine a few years ago and it was called “Better Than Robert Redford Dessert”. I just know it was heaven to eat!! The only difference being the chocolate and vanilla puddings were layered on separately.

41. I’ve been making this for 20+ years, but with a graham cracker crust. Jell-O calls it Striped Delight. I love the idea of a pecan or even walnut crust!

42. I make it all the time. At thanksgiving I use pumpkin spice pudding and it has taken the place of pumpkin pie. I have used lemon, coconut cream, pistachio, and chocolate. My family has always called it Yum Yum!

43. I’ve made thiis for several years. My Mother found the recipe in a cook book that we have here in the South(Alabama) It’s called “Calling all Cooks”, it’s made by South Central Bell, our phone company. Anyway, it’s called Chocolate Pudding Cake. This is my husban’s favorite dessert.
    Thank You for sharing all that you do,
    Lisa in Alabama

44. My Aunt used to make this for all family functions. She called it Chocolate Delight. I might try it with the lemon like someone suggested in another comment. I bet it would taste just as good or even better than the Lemon Supreme pie from The Village Inn restaurant chain.

45. The Original name for this was Hawaiian Delight. I found it in an Oklahoma Cookbook It was Oklahoma Recipes from 1889 to 1989. My family has been making this cheesecake my entire life. It is so delicious. I have mixed up the flavors also. I have made Orange Chocolate, Mint Chocolate and Chocolate Peanut Butter. My Husband and 3 sons make it disappear in a night :) I don’t understand the Name Hawaiian Delight but I find it better than Fat Man’s Delight…lol

• I googled Hawaiian Delight and it is a cake with pudding and cream cheese on top and then there is coconut and pineapple and maraschino cherries on top of that. It looks and sounds amazing!! I have a feeling that someone tweaked the recipe and changed the cake to the crust and then turned it into a chocolate desert. I bet the coconut and pineapple would be terrific on the crust with vanilla pudding. I’m getting seriously hungry here LOL.

46. I have been making this for years. We call it Chocolate Delight. For the crust I use either pecans or walnuts. Also, I add some chopped pecans or walnuts on top and I also shave a Hershey’s chocolate bar over the top….YUM. It doesn’t last long around my family. Heck I live alone and it doesn’t’ last long with just me LOLOL.