These Perfectly Soft and Chewy MnM Cookies are crisp on the outside and soft and chewy in the middle.
This time of year, cookies are in abundance in my house. Just yesterday I packed up a few tins of cookies to ship across country. Cookies are one of my favorite things to make, and let’s face it, nothing compares to a warm cookie.
Everyone needs a go-to cookie recipe. I’ve always been an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie fan, but then I started making my Bourbon Salted Caramel Cookies and those became a quick favorite. Lately, I’ve been adapting this cookie recipe for all sort of cookies.
This recipe started off as my Soft and Chewy Snickerdoodle, which I later adapted for my White Chocolate Cranberry Orange Cookies. I just sent a box of these off to a client this past week. Today, I’ve made these Perfectly Soft and Chewy MnM Cookies.
This dough is very basic, but what keeps it extra chewy is the cream of tarter. When starting this recipe, I actually use cold butter. I cut it into pieces and it helps break it up in the mixer. I always cream the butter and sugar until it’s very light and fluffy. It might take a little bit longer since you are starting with cold butter.
Once all the ingredients come together, I actually fold the MnMs into the dough with a spatula, so that they do not break. If you used your mixer, they would probably break apart.
This dough does need to be refrigerated for about 30 minutes. Refrigerating the dough helps give the cookies a little bit of height. Without it, they will be flat like a pancake. If you refrigerate your dough for more than 30 minutes, allow them to sit for about 10 minutes before baking. If the dough is too cold, then they won’t bake all the way through. I also like to scoop the dough and refrigerate it that way, because scooping cold cookie dough can be difficult!
I froze a whole batch of these, but they still didn’t last long. Every time I turned around my boyfriend and I were heating up a cookie in the microwave. They were just too good to keep around!
- 1 C (2 sticks) Unsalted butter
- 2 C Sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 C Flour
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Cream of tarter
- 1 cup MnM candies
- Combine butter with sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add egg, vanilla and vanilla extract. Mix into butter and sugar until egg is well beaten.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Slowly add into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined and dough forms.
- Fold in MnMs with a spatula so they do not crushed.
- Refrigerate dough for a minimum of 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Use a large cookie scoop (3 tbsp) and scoop cookie dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place about 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 350° F 10-12 minutes. Allow cookie to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
This recipe will yield about 36 cookies if you use a medium sized cookie scoop instead of a large. Baking time may need to be reduced for small cookies.
Other recipes you might like: