Mandarin Upside Down Cake is a moist and delicious way to get your Vitamin C. I made it two different ways but I will tell you which one was my favorite.
I wanted to make a cake the other day but I wasn’t wanting something overly sweet. I had a bag of Mandarin oranges so I decided to make a twist on the traditional pineapple upside down cake.
I wasn’t sure what would be the best way to cut the oranges so I tried two ways. For the first cake I sliced the oranges across the sections, which ended up being my favorite.
For the second cake I placed individual sections in the bottom of the dish.
Next, I made a basic yellow cake but replaced part of the liquid with orange juice and a little orange zest.
This one stuck a little bit but it still tasted great. It helps if you remember to grease the pan.
After the cakes came out of the oven I let them cool for a few minutes before turning them out onto plates. As soon as I put them on the plates I topped them with orange marmalade.
I also candied a few slices of orange by coating them in sugar and heating them in a pan on the stovetop until caramelized.
The cakes were so light and moist. They were exactly what I was hoping for.
I think I liked the one with the cross sections of orange better because the fruit was thinner than the whole sections.
- 5 Mandarin oranges
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 jar orange marmalade
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease a cake pan.
- Place slices of oranges in the bottom of the pan to fill it.
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Add milk, orange juice, butter and vanilla to the dry ingredients.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and beat for 2 more minutes.
- Pour batter on top of orange slices and bake for approximately 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 5 minutes before turning out onto plate.
- While the cake is still warm top it with orange marmalade. You can put as much or as little as you want.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 3gSugar: 40gProtein: 5g