Kahlua Chocolate Poke Cake is a moist, from scratch chocolate cake with a Kahlua spiked pudding and a quick 1 minute frosting! This is my husband’s new favorite cake!
Hello fellow chocolate lovers! My name is Holly and I blog over at Spend With Pennies. It’s an honor to be guest posting here on Chocolate Chocolate and More today!
Joan’s favorite recipe from my site was THIS Chocolate Poke Cake because it’s completely delicious. In fact, she loved it SO much that she was going to make it and post it on Chocolate Chocolate and More and I was going to make her favorite 3 Minute Fudge recipe for my site. Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to Joan before we got to make our recipes.
Naturally I had to create a special version of the poke cake just for Joan and I can’t think of a better way than to include Kahlua. This cake is so moist and rich and the Kahlua pudding makes it totally irresistible. The frosting takes just one minute and is the perfect way to top off this amazing treat. Joan would’ve loved this one!
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1¾ cups sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brewed coffee, cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup Kahlua, divided
- 1¼ cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda & baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and beat on medium for about 2 minutes. Pour into a greased & floured 9×13 pan.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of the cake comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Combine sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt, mix well. Whisk in cold milk and ¼ cup Kahlua.
- Cook over medium high on the stovetop stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 1 minute while stirring, remove from heat and stir in remaining Kahlua & butter.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon, poke holes over the cake. Pour warm pudding over the cake ensuring it seeps into the holes.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before frosting (below). Refrigerate overnight before serving.
- Place milk, butter, & sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and allow to boil 45 seconds.
- Remove from heat & stir in chocolate chips. Whisk until smooth and shiny and immediately pour over the cake. Refrigerate overnight.
If you enjoyed this Kahlua Chocolate Poke Cake you may also like