I find Southern food very comforting especially a Classic Southern Pecan Pie.
This recipe was given to me by a friend here in town. She added an ingredient that I had never had in a pecan pie before.
One year for Christmas a friend of ours baked a pecan pie for us as a gift.
There was no objection from me of a gift of homemade food.
Her recipe included cinnamon. I have eaten a lot of pecan pies over the years and never had one with cinnamon before.
It definitely added a great extra layer of flavor to the pie.
I love cinnamon so I am all for adding it to recipes.
Her recipe also makes three pies if you use the regular frozen pie crust.
Frozen pie crusts are fine but I prefer making my own. You can use whatever you prefer, whether frozen, refrigerated or homemade.
For this one I prefer a crunchy crust so I made mine with shortening and butter mixed together.
My grandmother used a mixture of half shortening and half butter in most of her recipes.
When making the pie you don’t need to pre-bake your crust. Just add the chopped pecans to the bottom of the pie and then pour the filing on top.
You will not be disappointed with this recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Classic Southern Pecan Pie
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups chopped pecans
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- For the crust: cut the shortening and butter into the flour and salt until well combined. Add water until it forms a ball. Roll out and place into two greased pie plates.
- Divide the chopped pecans into the bottom of the pie crusts.
- For the filling: beat eggs and combine all other ingredients. Pour over the pecans in the pie crusts.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 45 minutes or until the centers have set.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 346mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 3gSugar: 46gProtein: 6g
Other great classic recipes
Leave a Reply