Cake Batter Funfetti Pancakes because everything is better with sprinkles!
Today is my baby’s birthday. She’s no longer a little girl. She’s officially part of the Pre-teen scene. 11 years old…or 23 depending on her attitude. The next few years will be rough for us both. She’s the child most like me.
She’s the child that pushes that line as far as she can, bends and breaks rules and then looks at you with that innocent look. And if the innocent look doesn’t work then we go onto indignation, She might be the original drama queen.
She wants to wear makeup and skimpy clothes and swing those hips like all the dancers she watches on her music videos.
Well, she won’t be wearing make up except for a little lip gloss, every girl needs lip gloss right? And she won’t be wearing skimpy clothes, and as long as she’s only swinging her hips around the house while singing along with her music, I’m ok with her growing up a little.
So while she’s still my baby, I’ll put sprinkles on her pancakes and in her pancakes and smother them with more sugar. I’ll use cake mix to my advantage because I know the preteen and then the teen years are going to be rough on both of us. I know what she’s going to try and get away with but I’m sure she’ll find new tricks I never thought of.
Happy Birthday Baby!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups yellow or white cake mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk
- 2-3 tablespoons sprinkles
for the glaze
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- more sprinkles
- Combine flour, cake mix, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. set aside.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Add milk mixture to your dry ingredients, mixing well to remove any large lumps (little ones are ok.)
- Preheat griddle to 350 degrees or if using skillet, use medium heat. Griddle/skillet is ready when sprinkled water "dances" on hot surface.
- Lightly grease with butter or oil. Pour batter, approximately 1/4 cup, onto hot griddle, lightly add a few sprinkles to each pancake. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until batter starts to bubble around edges, flip pancake and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until golden. Remove from griddle and repeat with remaining batter.
- Prepare the glaze, combine ingredients and whisk until no lumps remain. If thick add a bit more milk. Pour over hot pancakes, add some more sprinkles on top and enjoy.
Want more Sprinkles?
Do you want more pancake recipes? Try these.