Italian Chocolate Pepper Cookies are known by many names. They have a couple of surprise ingredients that you will like.
The black pepper gives these cookies an extra boost of spice that pairs well with the cinnamon and cloves.
The whiskey really adds to the flavor also.
When making these you want to ice them soon after they come out of the oven.
Most people dip them in the icing and I tried that but I liked pouring it over the cookies instead.
Your icing should be thick but able to pour off of the spoon.
The cookie dough will be a little thick so that you can roll it into balls.
These Italian Chocolate Pepper Cookies had a great spice flavor which is really increased by the black pepper.
Let everyone guess what the spice is. Enjoy!
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 pound powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa and spices in a large bowl.
- Add whiskey, shortening and milk and mix until well incorporated.
- Add nuts and roll into small balls.
- Bake for 12 minutes on an ungreased baking sheet.
- While the cookies are in the oven make the icing by mixing all of the ingredients together until there are no lumps.
- When the cookies have cooled for about 2 minutes ice them.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g