Brownie Bottom Peppermint Stick Cheesecake has peppermint infused throughout for a lovely minty, chocolaty dessert that is perfect for holiday parties.
It’s another rainy day here. Sometimes when the rain hits, it stays for several dreary days. Last night it was cold enough to need a little heat. Winter is definitely coming to Texas.
I don’t know what it is about peppermint but it just seems to warm you up on a cold day. Maybe that’s why so many winter desserts feature mint. The traditional red and white colors of peppermint sticks are also festive so who can resist those?
Mint also goes so well with dark chocolate. Peppermint patties are my all time favorite candy. Do any of you remember the York Peppermint Patty “get the sensation” commercials? I somehow always feel that way when I eat a peppermint patty. So, when I was thinking about this cheesecake, I initially wanted to make something like a peppermint patty cheesecake but then decided peppermint stick would be a little more festive.
This Brownie Bottom Peppermint Stick Cheesecake started with brownie mix. My week has been crazy this little shortcut saves time. I had some crushed peppermint candy pieces from the baking section in the store but ended up crushing some candy canes with a rolling pin to get enough.
The crushed peppermint sticks in the filling give it almost enough sweetness so you don’t need to add much sugar. I did add extra mint extract to the filling to make sure the peppermint flavor really came through. Adding peppermint extract to the brownie layer and the ganache gave just the right balance of chocolate, cheesecake and mint. The ladies at church tell me the balance was perfect.
If you don’t have a springform pan, bake the brownies in an 9″x 13″ pan, top with the filling and ganache and then cut into bars.
- 1 package brownie mix prepared according to instructions
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
Peppermint Cheesecake filling
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cup crushed peppermint candies
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (1 package)
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup whipping cream
Chocolate Peppermint ganache
- 1 cup dark chocolate disks (I used Santa Barbara Chocolate Belgian Dark Chocolate but chocolate chips are also good)
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Grease bottom and sides of a 9" springform pan.
- Prepare brownie mix as instructed. Add peppermint extract to the batter and mix in thoroughly. Spread in the bottom of the springform pan. Follow baking directions for 8"x8" pan. Let cool.
- Soak gelatin in warm water and set aside. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add crushed peppermint candies, sugar and peppermint extract. Beat until well combined. Add gelatin and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into cream cheese mixture. Spread on top of cooled brownie and refrigerate for several hours until cool.
Chocolate Peppermint Ganache
- Put chocolate and whipping cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. Continue in 20 second increments until the chocolate just melts and the stirred mixture is smooth. Add peppermint and stir well. Spread on top of cooled cheesecake.